Hi All,

I have doen some reading on this but would like to clarify a few issues.

We currently have an SAP landscape with ECC 5, BI 7.0 etc. BI sits on a UNIX server.

What is the latest version of BO?

What version of SAP BI (3.5, 7.0 etc) is this compatiable with?

Can I install BO on my unix server where my BI system is on? If not what Operating Sytem can I install it on (windows, unix etc?)

What is BO made up of. E.g. SAP BI 7 uses a netweaver platform made from both ABAP and Java stacks. How does this compare to BO??

The reporting tools for BO (Xcelsius, crystal reports etc), are these all client software?

Is it correct that the integration kit is needed to integrate SAP BI and BO? Apart from the reporting what other benefits will this provide?

Lots of questions help with any will be much appeciated.

• SAP Employee

Hi Nick,

Yes, BOBJ does not provide a Datawarehouse solution, you need another database OLAP (like SAP BW or Hyperion Essbase, etc.) or relational (Like Oracle or MS SQL Server, etc.).

Thats why the SAP integral solution is SAP BW and SAP BusinessObjects, BW is the datawarehouse with optimal integration with all the SAP solutions or you can load into SAP BW data from any source system, and SAP BusinessObjects (BOE, WEBI, Xcelsius, Crystal Reports, Explorer, Widgets, etc.) are the front end and analytical tools.

Here you can find information about SAP BusinessObjects solution and SAP BW:

The benefits of creating universe from a BEX query is if you need to chance or modify the cube you don't need to update the universe and add the new key figures or dimensions becasue the BEX report is not affected, but the real benefit is you can create Variables, Calculated Key Figures, Restricted Key figures and custom structures in BEX query and use it in the universe and is transparent for the user, if you create the universe from the infocube you can't use Variables, Calculated Key Figures, Restricted Key figures and custom structures.

In this list you have the BW metadata feature and underlined if you can use it in an Universe if you create it from BEx or from Infocube.

Characteristics (incl. Time and Unit) InfoCube/BI Query

Hierarchies InfoCube/BI Query

Basic Key Figures InfoCube/BI Query

Display Attributes InfoCube/BI Query

Navigational Attributes BI Query only

Calculated Key Figures / Formulas BI Query only

Restricted Key Figures BI Query only

Custom Structures BI Query only

Variables BI Query only

Key date variable BI Query only

Best reagrds,

0 View this answer in context