cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sender File Adatper - AS400

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'd really appreciate any help if folks have the time....

We are running a file to file scenario.

It all works fine if my sender adapter is configured to point to a shared directory on a PC (or Server) both on and off our domain. The file is picked up processed and dropped off.

e.g. sender adapter directory //192.168.11.29/XI/SELLCODE

On the IP above, user XI1ADM (XI1 is our XI SID) has been set up as a local user.

However if I change the sender adapter so that it points to a shared directory on the IFS of our legacy AS400 system (//128.1.1.1/XI), the adapter fails with error "directory //128.1.1.1/XI does not exist".

We have XI running on Windows Server 2003. From the server I can ping 128.1.1.1. I can also go Start->Run and enter
128.1.1.1\XI. This brings up a user-log-on window (I log on as AS400 user XI1ADM). If i complete this I can get access to the directory and can open and manipulate the file.

I am thinking that it is this AS400 authentication that is preventing XI from seeing the AS400?? But don't know how to get round it???

I have created the user XI1ADM on the AS400 and given it full rights (as good measure I have created all the other XI... users but no good!)

I have set it so that on the IFS the XI share is owned by the user XI1ADM and it has full read / write abilities. I have set the share to have anonymous user access, based on user XI1ADM.

Looking at the trace files in the Java Administrator, the message just says Sender Channel //128.1.1.1/XI does not exist.

I know that the File adapter is set up as an NFS adapter. Yesterday I started the NFS server service on the AS400 and exported the directory. But I don't know how to mount it to the XI server..... maybe this is a red herring?

Any help would be very much appreciated. I am sure I'm just overlooking something. I know from looking at the forums that some users have got the AS400 file adapter working (Manish Agarwal) I just can't get it to play!

Many thanks,

Claire

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Claire,

can you try using FTP (passive if possible)

on your AS400 ?

then you could use the sender adapter in the ftp mode

this mode is slower but you can try if this will be sufficient for you

Regards,

michal

-

<a href="/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/06/28/xipi-faq-frequently-asked-questions"><b>XI / PI FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions</b></a>

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michal

Thanks for getting back to me. I was thinking of using FTP as a possible solution, and we are going to try using it, but ideally I did want to be able to pick the file up from the AS400 itself.

Many thanks for your help,

Claire

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I've had a busy day learning about NFS and Windows Server and have solved the problem.

I've put some notes below incase anyone else has the same problem. For me, it has been a huge learning experience on AS400 IFS, NFS and Windows NFS. Not sure I wanted to know all this but it seems I need to for XI!

The XI server did not have NFS for Windows installed on it, hence I could not mount the drive or authenticate - but I can now, having installed it!

I made sure that NFS was running on AS400 and that the directory I wanted to use had been exported.

There is a great Redbook from IBM about using NFS. If you put NFS and Iseries into Google it is one of the first links that comes up.

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg242158.html

Then on the Windows Server, I added the AS400 drive, by adding it as an explicit server in the NFS network - Favourite LAN in My Network Places.

I also mapped a drive to this location, using the XI1ADM user I had created in AS400. This effectively soft-mounts the directory to the AS400.

I ensured the sender adapter was using the mounted directory (as //128.1.1.1/XI - not the drive letter, as these don't seem to work in the file adapters), activated the sender adapter and held my breath. And it worked!!!!! Phew!

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry for the slight abuse of the SDN but I was looking for information about XI adapters and recognised the name. Drop me a line, I'd be interested to hear what you are doing.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Claire,

Can you pls explain what you are doing? I had a scenario of connecting AS400 to SAP R/3. I used JDBC sender adapter to access the file or table in AS400. Can you tell me how you made it work along with the attributes of sender commn channel(file).

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Jai Shankar.