cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EasyDMS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

What is the difference between public folder and private folder in EasyDMS?

What is the relation between folder and document type?

Atul

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Makal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Atul

Please see the reply of [Anubhav Mishra|https://forums.sdn.sap.com/profile.jspa?userID=3573264] in this [Thread|;

I'm just copying that particular answer here:

-

Re: is Working with Folders in EASY DMS only

Posted: Jul 8, 2008 7:44 AM in response to: Shanti in response to: Shanti

-

in easyDMS folder is a BO< - there is no specific need to configure folders unless u decide your business process / logic specifically to be structured as folders (example - Projects - Desing docs - Specifications etc)

Private and public folders in easyDMS are two root folders to start with..private as name suggests is private to a user and other users cant access it..public folder are accessible to everyone (ofcourse user should have proper authorization)..these are two logical folders from where a user can start navigation to DMS data.

rgds,

anu

-

Please do search the forum, before posting.

Cheers

Amaresh Makal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

a) When an user does a search, document from both public as well as private folder are shown. For the user who is search public/private forlder is irrelevant. So what is the actual / real use of private folder? As i understand documents stored in private folder are not directly visible to other users where as documents stored in public folder is directly visible.

b) When creating a folder, document type is asked. But in that folder one can store documents of any document type. Would it be right to understand that folders are just representation of boxes and the documents stored in these boxes relate to the box?

How do i control/ authorize creation/non-creation of folders in public folder? How do i control/authorize that an user should by able to store documents in a particular folder only? e.g. i have created 5 folders under the public folder for project1, project2, project3, project4, project5 using document type PRJ. Now i want user2 to store documents in the folder project2 only?

Atul

Former Member
0 Kudos

use acls and authorization objects to achieve both your requirements.

read easydms help guide.

Makal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

My dear friend, see my comments below:

a) When an user does a search, document from both public as well as private folder are shown.

When you search for the documents, system will definitely show all the documents.

For the user who is search public/private forlder is irrelevant. So what is the actual / real use of private folder? As i understand documents stored in private folder are not directly visible to other users where as documents stored in public folder is directly visible.

Access to private/ public folder can be restricted using authorization objects.

b) When creating a folder, document type is asked.

Because for DMS system folder is also one of the DIR.

But in that folder one can store documents of any document type. Would it be right to understand that folders are just representation of boxes and the documents stored in these boxes relate to the box?

Folder are for the utilization of the end user to segregate the different documents.

How do i control/ authorize creation/non-creation of folders in public folder? How do i control/authorize that an user should by able to store documents in a particular folder only? e.g. i have created 5 folders under the public folder for project1, project2, project3, project4, project5 using document type PRJ. Now i want user2 to store documents in the folder project2 only?

Utilize authorization objects.

Read [Authorization Objects|http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/PLM/CADMS-AuthorizationObjects]

You really need to study DMS thoroughly. Don't mistake, it's my sincere suggestion to you.

Good luck

Regards

Amaresh Makal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

pls find comments

a) When an user does a search, document from both public as well as private folder are shown. For the user who is search public/private forlder is irrelevant. So what is the actual / real use of private folder? As i understand documents stored in private folder are not directly visible to other users where as documents stored in public folder is directly visible.

Both Public and Private folders help in creating/maintaining documents in structured manner. i.e Document Structures

lets take an ex:

some equipment has to be assembled for which drawings are already available in DMS.

consider 3 users - user1, user2, and user3

all these 3 users develop their own document structures/design equipment based on their own ideas which must be maintained confidential so that other user shud not see the structure.

if this structure is created in public folder the all other users will have access but if it is created in private folder then only respective user can see his own structure.

b) When creating a folder, document type is asked. But in that folder one can store documents of any document type. Would it be right to understand that folders are just representation of boxes and the documents stored in these boxes relate to the box?

while creating folder doc type is asked, tis is just for repesenting as an header folder under which u will be structuring all the required folders and documents.

all authorizations give in SAP while be taken into EDMS, after creating doc in standard SAP, document browser tab refers to creation of document structures which is nothing but fucntionlity of EDMS.

if user have authorisation to doc type thru which folder is created, any documents can be stored in that particular doc type/folder.

hope this example helps u.

Thank You,

Manoj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Private folder is user specific, public folder is a central folder for all users.

As per my understanding, there is no relation between a document type and a folder, you can create folders from any document type.

Regards

Surjit