cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error "Failed to add message into clients message queue Terminating client"

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We are having a weird problem. We developed an interface in ECC6, which produces 3 files. The files are downloaded by the program via GUI_DOWNLOAD function to a PC or Network Location.

The issue we are having is that we can run the program on the same PC several times in a row. There are no changes to the program or the data that is extracted in between the runs. Some of the runs hang for an hour or so until SAPGUI produces the error: "Failed to add message into clients message queue Terminating client". But some of the runs execute without problems, and the files are created. The files are small - max number of records is 3,000.

We found an OSS note on this, but from 2003, obsolete fo rus. We are on SAPGUI 710 and ECC6.

Every time the program hangs, seems to hang at the GUI_DOWNLOAD function. Not only, but if we look for that job in ECC, we no longer see that transaction under the user ID who executed the program. It looks like a disconnect between the two

Most of the times, we have to kill the sessions that hang as they will stay there for hours.

The program generally runs in about 10 minutes, front end always, not background.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Nicoleta,

maybe increasing the value of parameter rdisp/max_hold_time (default = 60) to 120 or higher might solve the problem.

This parameter defines the maximum time in seconds a work process waits for actions from the frontend.

Raising this parameter might solve the problem as it gives more time to the workstation.

Best regards,

Andreas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your note Andreas,

Your suggestion makes a lot of sense based on what we found.

We did a lot of investigations and found that the program was calling function SAP_CONVERT_TO_TEX_FORMAT about 40,000 times as the programmer was converting several records from 3 different internal tables into one record.

This function also calls function SAPGUI_PROGRESS_INDICATOR, which in turn does some 'RFCControl' calls. We thought this may create the problem as it appeared there were about 40,000 communication calls between SAP GUI and the client.

We copied function SAP_CONVERT_TO_TEX_FORMAT into a Z function which is not calling the progress indicator function to avoid the communication between GUI and the client. This fixed the problem.

The setting you suggested makes a lot of sense, and I am sure it would have worked.. Neither of us, me or the programmer have knowledge of these parameters and Basis didn't try it it appears.

Thanks again.

Nicoleta

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Andreas:

I read your post, so basic adjusted by rz11 you said parameter rdisp / max_hold_time 120, then he served no effect adjustment or reported "Failed to add message into clients message queue Terminating client", I ask how to operate needed, thank you!