cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When using DataGuard, the logical standby DB is already "OPEN"?

Former Member
0 Kudos

When I was setting up the physical standby DB several years ago no DataGuard got involved), I had the impression that the standby DB is in MOUNT status.

But since when using DataGuard to set up the logical standby DB, the logical standby DB can be used as it is already OPENed.

Is it actually in OPEN status? If so, can the primary and logical standby have the same SID without any trouble?

Please help advise. Thanks a lot!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes ,we had setup dataguard using the same SID for the primary and logical standby,you should be fine.

we need only the db_unique_name identifier(in the initXXX.ora to be unique for the primary and standby.

Gerard

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot!

Please clarify:

1) db_unique_name=PRD for the primary DB, and db_unique_name = LPD for the logical standby DB?

2) both physical standby DB and logical standby DB are OPEN, therefore both can run queries?

Please help! Thanks!

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Christy,

yes it is ok that both database are in status OPEN, that is also the main reason for using logical standby databases (you can do changes and queries on standby too).

I hope you don't use a logical standby database in a SAP environment, because of this is NOT supported. Check sapnote #105047 - Point "14. Data Guard". A logical standby database has limitations.

If you just want to use the physical standby database for queries you can open it in read only or you can use flashback technology for read/write. With Oracle 11g you have these features included in data guard itself (Active Data Guard / Snapshot StandBy) to perform such steps automatically.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Stefan:

Thanks for your reply!

I have only 2 more questions before I close this thread:

1) how to activate (or enable) DataGuard?

2) 11g is not certified by SAP yet (not in PAM), right?

Thanks!

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Christy,

> 1) how to activate (or enable) DataGuard?

If you have a standby databases, you are already using the "Data Guard feature" ..

> 2) 11g is not certified by SAP yet (not in PAM), right?

Correct - actually planned for Q1/2010 ... but you can also do that "special stuff" on Oracle 10g - the limitation is that you have to do it manually and not with the Data Guard (Broker) itself.

The important point from my previous reply is: Logical standby databases are not supported in a SAP environment.

Regards

Stefan

Answers (0)