cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BO on SSAS 2005 vs SSAS 2008

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We have been testing a BO OLAP Universe on top of a SSAS cube.

We have BO XI 3.1 base version on windows.

We observe this behavior.

Consider a BO query against an OLAP Universe ( A few calculated measures thrown in ). We isolate the query using the tracer.

1. If you run the MDX query against SSAS(2005) through Management studio it comes back in a few seconds.

2. If you run the equivalent report in BO against SSAS(2005) - It runs for 1 hour and times-out.

3, If you run the same report in BO against SSAS( 2008) - the response comes back within a minute.

We do know that BO query generated is not the most efficient query. Howver the above observation makes us wonder - if query is not the only factor in the performance. Does 2005 treat requests differently, may be putting some on low priority or could this be some kind of issues due to load on 2005 server and Management studio some-how smartly integrated to get a faster response?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are still looking, but based on preliminary findings it does look like that 2008 is handling the threads much more efficiently.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We know that Microsoft has mainly focused the SSAS 2008 version to improve performance thus explains the results.

But if you are running the same MDX with SQL Server Management Studio and BO on SSAS 2005, it is hard to explain such differences.

What is the volume of data returned by the query?

Are you doing formatting and/or local variablles in the document (I assume it is Web Intelligence)?

Last, is it possible to send the MDX generated?

Regards,

Didier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Didier,

Happy New Year and thanks for your responses.

"But if you are running the same MDX with SQL Server Management Studio and BO on SSAS 2005, it is hard to explain such differences." - Yes ..thats what concerns me..unless somehow this data is getting cached.. in which case BO should return the same.

But yes, i agree..the performance seems to have improved with 2008.

"What is the volume of data returned by the query?" - not much...may be less than 10000 rows

"Are you doing formatting and/or local variablles in the document (I assume it is Web Intelligence)?" - none.. no additions at all.. its a report out of cube universe objects only.

Here is a sample MDX. (Have nodified it WITH - to enable running it in Management studio)

WITH SET NS2760D09E31A94B28B8996E8BF495DD34_2 AS Filter([Date].[Month].levels(1).allmembers,((([Date].[Month].currentmember.properties("CAPTION")="August 2009"))))

SELECT

{

[Measures].[Sales YTD]

,[Measures].[Sales MTD]

} ON COLUMNS

,NON EMPTY

CrossJoin

(

CrossJoin

(

CrossJoin

(