cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transactions, Tags & Machine Hearbeats MII 12.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Does anyone here have any experience with heartbeats sent from a Tag that indicates the machine is still functioning? I have a transaction that logically would look at this heartbeat and ask if this heartbeat is still available, then continue with the transaction. The problem is I should keep looking at this heartbeat from time to time. This means I have to have an transaction call or a simple if statement. What have you guys done in the past and what would be considered best practice to continually looking at this heartbeat?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Chip,

I presume that you need to perform some action based on the heartbeat status (or upon change of status). I would strongly urge you to look at PCo 2.0 (or 2.1 which is in Ramp Up). This would monitor the tag at the historian and only invoke MII upon what ever trigger you assign (state change, perhaps). That saves you from constantly having MII check the tag value.

Regards,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

I just talked to Alin Pene about this and we are not using PCO. Thanks for the advice, though.

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Chip,

Please send my greetings to Alin.

A lot of people have experience monitoring equipment using your approach. Most of them would prefer a method that does not have a scheduled transaction constantly running and the system resources tied up doing so.

PCo is ideal for this type of heartbeat monitoring. Not sure what else I can suggest as an improvement.

Regards,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the advice. I will talk to Alin about it.