Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export big(!) Spool Request as a PDF File

Joerg_S
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

i've managed to download a huge(!) spool request (889 pages, ABAP List) in the common 2-step-process:

1 - RSTXPDFT4 (converting in background mode!) > new "binary" spooljob was created

2 - RSTXPDFT5 (GUI-Download this new spooljob to path X)

Before i switched on PDF conversion settings in RSTXPDF3: FASTLISTCONV, COMPR_PAGECONT

Problem:

the created/converted file is much bigger as i expected --> 99,6 MB !

Question:

is there any (hidden) option to get the downloaded file more "compressed"?

Hints: I have some columns with color, font = Courier, coding = ANSI

thanx in advance for any hints

regards Jörg

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

I guess you won´t like it because it need some work to do, but you can get what you want if you develop a PDF print form, using transaction SFP you draw a template, fill it with data with a simple program a print. Yes, this is not "every spool into PDF", but the performance, file size and other things will change considerably.

If you need a start point, you can start here: http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/c2567f2b-0b01-0010-b7b5-977cbf806...

Regards, Otto

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Joerg_S
Participant

we droped all colours and than result looked better ...

Edited by: Jörg Sauterleute on Jan 29, 2010 11:47 AM

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

thank you for the feedback. As you are the expert on that topic , could you tell us more about the size before and after, how many coloured text blocks you had by page before vs after... (that would be very interesting to know!)

Joerg_S
Participant
0 Kudos

you're right ... it would have excepted the same infos in your position ...

here ya go:

spool/report with colour,

a) PDF1 - 147 pages: 13.509 Kb

b) PDF2 - 45 pages: 3.998 Kb

now spool/report with less colour, (only a view remarks left

a) PDF1 - 147 pages: 1.590 Kb

b) PDF2 - 45 pages: 491 Kb

regards Jörg

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thx. Divided by 10! I don't believe it, you kill me!

Are you really sure there's no embedded font or image that you would have removed or changed the customizing (resident in printer memory)?

Joerg_S
Participant
0 Kudos

no ... no pictures inside ... compare our report with MB51 (non ALV-GRID layout) and the header was with coulours + repeated on every page

also first 3 columns where coloured ...

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

So, it's about 100 KB each page.

In my Western non-unicode 7.0 system, I get pages from 5 (pages rather empty) to 20 KB (normally filled) approximately, with only text (no special formatting).

With the 2 options OFF, what size ratio do you get?

Could you generate an ABAP list with only texts (try to have the same average number of characters, don't use anything special, no color, etc.), what average size do you get?

If there is a big difference between the sizes you get, then I think the best is to contact SAP.

Joerg_S
Participant
0 Kudos

With the 2 options OFF, what size ratio do you get?

that's the curious point - same size

... i guess that's because it's an ABAP list, as i got better results downloading OTF (SapScript) ... but i can guess only as i have rare knowledge what contents affect the conversion to PDF-format

Joerg_S
Participant
0 Kudos

Could you generate an ABAP list with only texts (try to have the same average number of characters, don't use anything special, no color, etc.), what average size do you get?

... i'll change the report (annual inventory list 31.12.) that is creating this spool request, and will write again what result i got

P.S. other spool requests (more or less the same kind of content, but less color and only 14 pages) have average size = 9KB

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> ... but i can guess only as i have rare knowledge what contents affect the conversion to PDF-format

On that marginal topic, I think that you are now THE expert in SCN!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jörg,

Not sure if there is an option in the RSTX* programs, for compressing downloaded files.

But you can compress it using class cl_abap_zip .

Sample code is available at link below:

/people/dezso.pap/blog/2009/10/15/three-easy-steps-how-to-switch-from-igs-zipper-to-abap-kernel-based-zipping

Regards,

Nisha Vengal.

Joerg_S
Participant
0 Kudos

@Nisha Vengal

Hi, thx for this link, but please recognize that i put the word compressed in quotation marks

What i'm searching for is an optimized tool converting PDF Files from Spool

regards Jörg