cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detemining the size of DB after Archiving

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guru’s

We are archiving the standard archiving objects in SAP. How can I determine the size that was removed in our database after archiving?

We are using SAP 4.6C.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

Thank you for your reply.

In my understanding and experience, In DB02 though I have finished archiving the size of my database did not decrease. As I know Database Size is actually referring to Size of all the datafiles at the Operating system level.

I understand that archiving means purging the data and will not generally reduce the DB size. Which means removing the data from the database, but when we remove the data from the database <b>freespace is created</b>.

Now, how can I determine the size of the freespace created?

In DB20 it only shows the total number of entries in particular table not the space that was free-up.

Can you put some light on here? thank you.

Message was edited by: RDT

christian_wohlfahrt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

DB02 might display a different result after a refresh -> runstat has to be triggered. But you are right, on this general level some deleted rows might not make any difference.

Still you can have a look into detail analysis (object name = table name), then you will get the required numbers:

"

Space Extent structure

Allocated space..Kbyte 192 Initial extent....Kbyte 16

blocks...... 24 Next extent.......Kbyte 0

extents..... 3 Min_extents............ 1

*Used blocks.......... 20 Max_extents............ 1-

*Never used blocks.... 0 Pct increase..........% 0

*Free in used blocks.% 0

*Total free space....% 0

Block structure Rows

Blocksize.........byte 8.192 *Total................. 235

Pct_free ............% 10 *Chained............... 0

Pct_used ............% 0 *Avg. length.......byte 566

Transactions initial.. 1 *Avg. length+header...b 697

maximum.. 255 *Avg. initial length..b 638

Header minimum....byte 84

maximum....byte 5.926"

Also the total number of rows is an equivalent to space, just multiply with line size. Line size you can get from DB02 or SE11-Extras-Table width.

Isn't the archiving file pretty much a 1:1 copy of the deleted data? Then file size of archiving file / result log will give you a first estimate of additional freespace.

Regards,

Christian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christian!

I really appreciate it. These are statistic that I’m looking for.

-Never used blocks

-Free in used blocks.%

-Total free space %

Taking this before and after archiving can tell me the difference in actual table size. I’m also looking for tcode db05 it was also a great tcode for this scenario.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

Thank you for your reply.

In my understanding and experience, In DB02 though I have finished archiving the size of my database did not decrease. As I know Database Size is actually referring to Size of all the datafiles at the Operating system level.

I understand that archiving means purging the data and will not generally reduce the DB size. Which means removing the data from the database, but when we remove the data from the database <b>freespace is created</b>.

Now, how can I determine the size of the freespace created?

christian_wohlfahrt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi!

In transaction DB02 you can see the total size of SAP's database. Have a look before archiving and a look afterwards (after a refresh).

In the box 'Tables and Indices' the button 'Detailed analysis' will show you the size of specific tables - if you are interested in some special tables, this can bring more information.

The size of single tables can also be seen with transaction DB20: enter table name and press 'refresh' (STRG+F1) before and after archiving.

Regards,

Christian