cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB Refresh NetWeaver 7.0 Abap+Basis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I am trying to perform DB refresh, Using backup/Restore on windows and oracle environment.

After the refresh java is not coming up.

I have tried to follow the system copy method but i am getting errors. sapinst is trying to create the oracle services which already exists.

I have tried to import java only, but even then the sapinst says java instance already exists.

Please help me with the correct process and also any documentation available.

Thanks in advance

Pavan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Pavan,

at first we have to clarify one thing ... do you have installed a dual stack system? Because of you wrote in the topic header "ABAP+Basis" and in your post itself you wrote "After the refresh java is not coming up.".

So i think you are using a dual stack system in one oracle database.

1) AFAIK SAP recommends to use single stack installations ( no dual stacks anymore), but it it is still supported .. maybe you should think about migrating it to single stack installations.

>sapinst is trying to create the oracle services which already exists.

>Please help me with the correct process and also any documentation available.

2) The "supported way" is sill R3load .. but before you start the import / new installation, you should delete all the oracle stuff with the runinstaller and the oracle services that may remain with "sc delete <SERVICE_NAME>.

> I have tried to import java only, but even then the sapinst says java instance already exists.

The same stuff, that i mentioned in point 2 in addition the SAP stuff (registry, services, folders, etc.)

> After the refresh java is not coming up.

To be honest we don't copy the system the "official way", we do a backup and restore of our production database with some additional manual steps. If you do a system copy with java you have to check / change serveral things after your system copy .. just to mention a few points: secure store, hostname / ports in configtool, config itself, etc.

Hope this helps to get an idea.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Both source and target systems are ABAP+JAVA.

I am trying to perform DB refresh not the system copy.

Is there any document for this.

If we delete the services we may not be able restore if any errors with the dbrefresh.

Can you please share the manual steps.

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Pavan,

>I am trying to perform DB refresh not the system copy.

>Is there any document for this.

No, as already mentioned this way is officially not supported by SAP .. so no documentation about that.

> If we delete the services we may not be able restore if any errors with the dbrefresh.

There is a binary called oradim which can be used for the creation, modification and deletion of oracle windows services. The listener service can be created with netca (also a binary).

But to be honest if you don't know all this stuff, you should stay on the supported way and follow the official system copy guide (with R3load).

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

i think System copy guide is for bulding a new system and not for refresh.

So following this guide is useless for me.

can you please share the steps or document you follow.

Thanks

Pavan

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As said,

with java involved, there is no such thing with a DB REFRESH only!

You can use either R3LOAD, backup/restore or even

transportable tablespaces (i.e. to seperate an MCOD system) to copy

the database, but you need to do a seperate JAVA-Export on

the source-system in addition.

SAPINST fully supports a copy with the so called

DB specific method (for backup/restore), but requires

the additional JAVA-export from the source system.

The good old DBRELOAD profile from R3Setup times

is not available any more.

You can do an (unsupported) refresh, if java is not involved.

As for your task, you need to uninstall the target system first

(but you can keep the installed ORACLE_HOME). Then do a copy

to re-create it.

Volker

brian_walker
Active Participant
0 Kudos

If you have a dual stack system and are on Netweaver 7.0, you must follow the steps in the system copy guide. You'll use the database specific method (which I assume you've already done, for Oracle in this case) for the database copying part. The java stack has some of its data in the filesystem, and so the export step on the source system must be performed and then the import steps must be performed on the target system. If you run HA, you can skip the ASCS/SCS installation steps and use what is already installed in the target, but the database and central instance steps must be executed in the target.

This is the only method that SAP supports for refreshing a dual-stack system that I am aware of.

Brian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Brian

What does this mean

If you run HA, you can skip the ASCS/SCS installation steps ?

brian_walker
Active Participant
0 Kudos

It means that if you're running a high-availability (HA) setup where the message and enqueue for both ABAP (ASCS) and Java (SCS) are split into their own instances, you can skip these steps in the target system. Sounds like this is not the case for you.

Brian