cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Copy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I have CRM2007 with oracle DB. I would like to move this sytem to other server. so which type of system copy i need to select and how do i restore DB for ORacle

New Server is Win2008 Enterprise Edition with 64bit

can any one help me

Jayakrishnan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Generally a version upgrade of Operating System or Database platform does not require a Heterogeneous copy, i.e. Windows Server 2000 to Windows Server 2003 or Oracle 8.1.7 to Oracle 9.2.0 would be considered a Homogeneous System Copy, however Windows Server 2000 to HP-UX 11i or Oracle 8.1.7 to MSSQL 2000 would be considered a Heterogeneous System Copy.

This route is in principle simpler and quicker, however requires a more detailed knowledge of the database in question . In principle a system can be simply backed up on the older server and restored on the new server if hostname, SID etc are to remain the same. Alternatively a new SAP instance can be installed "empty" then the database removed and the source database restored in it's place. Care must be taken around profile parameters and the database SID may need to be changed.

You can even perform an export/import using SAPinst . But you have to reinstall the target SAP system in that case.

Look for the appropriate installation guide for your release of Windows X64bit , Oracle and NW 07 to determine which methods are supported.

As far as restore/recovery is concerned. You can restore the sapdata contents to the new server and perform a oracle recovery using the backup control file created using the original oracle DB.

Once you have the backup control file you can recover DB until cancel and then openthe DB with "resetlogs option"

Gerard

Edited by: GerardChristopher on Jan 1, 2010 11:49 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gerard,

Thanks for your reply,

However I would like to do Heterogeneous system copy with following scenarios

Source System

OS --> windows 2003 64Bit

DB--> Oracle

CRM--> 2007

Target System

OS --> windows 2008 64Bit (Enterprise Edition)

DB--> I would like to change Oracle to MSSQL2005

CRM--> 2007

How do I go forward with this ?

Regards,

Jayakrishnan Nair

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Jayakrishnan Nair,

Its called Heterogeneous system copy ( migration ). Required migration key from SAP.

You need to export your database from source system and need to import your expored database into target system.

seach in with keyword migration you get so many messages.

Regards,

Nikunj Thaker.

Former Member
0 Kudos

A Heterogeneous System copy almost always requires an export and import of the database. This means the old system must have the capacity to export the data and store it somewhere that the new system can read it. As the export server is usually the older, and therefore slower, this is where careful planning can help.

In order to perform a heterogeneous system copy on a production system it is mandatory to get an SAP OS/DB Migration Check performed, which is fee based but can be taken instead of a standard Earlywatch Session. It is also essential that a certified migration consultant performs the migration of all the systems in the landscape, including the non-production ones as part of the project. For more information see SAP Note 82478.

Sapinst program is used to control the migration. Sapinst uses the SAP programs R3ldctl, R3szchk and R3Load. Additional java tools in the form of the Package Splitter, Table Splitter and Migration Monitor can be used to reduce export and import time by as much as 60%. These java tool are described further in SAP note 784118. Using the migration monitor it is even possible to run the export and import in parallel.

Also consider Distmon incase the DB size is huge . Distmon usage would also require several application servers for best result.

Once you have performed the export of the source system you need to use sapinst and import the export dump as part of the target system install.

Hope it helps,

Gerard

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks for the updates

can I user homogenous system copy for oracle?

Jayakrishnan

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> thanks for the updates

>

> can I user homogenous system copy for oracle?

>

> Jayakrishnan

Yes, Win/Ora -> Win/Ora is considered to be a homogeneous migration,

no matter what versions are involved. Even Itanium to Intel CPU is no migration.

As for CRM: There are several notes on the copy of CRM Systems.

The migration/copy of CRM systems has not been supported for a long time.

Then, the copy of the solution manager was released for the reason,

that the solution manager is "not really a CRM System".

Now, there are some notes on CRM, but they refer mostly to proceed

"the same way as for solution manager".

This suggest, that a real migration/copy of CRM systems is a task, that

has not been done so frequently. You might be on an exploring mission

If you do it just to change metal, i'd sugesst not to change the SID and if

possible keep the hostname. This should give you less trouble with

generated program stuff that contains the SID in the report names.

Good luck

Volker

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks