cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original dates in comparison of actual dates

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts

I have a project with certain activities and partily executed (few activities are confirmed and partially confirmed).

For the finally confirmed activities, the planned earliest and latest dates if activity are matched with actual dates.

To have an analysis of planned and actual dates, how to retain the original dates?

Over a period of time, i have incerted new activities. To enable bringing these activities in schedule, i need to re-schedule the project.

But, the origjnal schedule also will get rescheduled. I am looking for retaining the original schedule despite repeated reschedules for the purpose of future analysis.

Generally, the project progress in gantt chart (general business requirement) is monitored with out deviating the original schedule.

Require comments by experts.

warm regards

ramSiva

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can retain basic dates which you got at the start of the project. Just make sure you are not copying the scheduled dates (earliest and latest) to the basic dates. So Basic dates will act like baseline 0.

Anymore ideas on this are welcomed !

Regards,

Mahendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mahendra

Thanks for the reply.

1) Can you elaborate how to ensure that the basic dates are not disturbed.

2) During partial confirmation of an activity, i anticipated additional duration required and accordingly i entered forecast period.

This should bring the subsequent activity in to red (critical). How to get this alarming situation without reschedule?

Since reschedule is an inevitable aspect to understand the criticality of subsequent activities (after part execution), i am looking for retention of original plan some where in the schedule.

Please suggest solution.

warm regards

ramSiva

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you follow top-down scheduling, the dates in WBS elements will not changed.

Rather than this method, the method suggested earlier is more fool proof that you copy basic dates to forecast dates and forecast dates will not get updated automatically or manually untill you wanted to do so.

While for your point no.2, you will not be able to get it in alarm or in red untill rescheduling is happened. However you can maintain scheduling parameter in network scheduling parameter to have "automatic scheduling". So once you save the project, system will automatically reschedule and show the changes on current scheduling of activities.

Regards,

Mahendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mahendra

My scheduling scenario is bottom up, because the individual activities and procurement lead times will decide the actual planning for each WBS.

So, as you suggested, once after complete structuring and initial scheduling, i will transfer the basic dates to forecast dates.

Then onwards i will keep reschedule after confirmation / partial confimation / addition of new activities. Is this method keeps the forecast dates unchanged forever and gives information on iniital schedule?

During intermittent rescheduling, will the forecast dates get affected as like basic dates (due to my scenario bottom-up)?

warm regards

ramSiva

Former Member
0 Kudos

No, as I said before till the time you again copy the basic dates to forecast dates or you manually enter those, the forecast dates will remain unchanged. it is regardless of which method of scheduling you are using.

Regards,

Mahendra

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member203108
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1. You can create project version, then compare the project version with current version

2. Copy basic dates to forecast date, schedule the basic date and then compare with forecast date