cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kernel upgrade from 6.20 to 6.40

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

Hi!! I've a query regarding kernel upgrade from 6.20 to 6.40 in a multi application server scenario. We are running SAP Enterprise 4.7 2.00 running WebAS 6.20 on SUN Solaris 9.0. There is one CI & one DB in SUN cluster environment and 5 application servers. I know the procedure for Kernel upgrade but i'm not sure how to go about it? Should i upgrade the kernel first in CI or in application servers? Wud it make any difference coz 6.40 kernel is downward compatible? Wat should be the chronology in upgrading the kernel in the above environment?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sameer,

Please take a quick look at SAP note 664679. There is a cautionary statement in the solution of this note that states "The kernels must be replaced on ALL application servers of the affected system". This implies to me that all servers must be upgraded at the same time and that you cannot mix kernel versions within the same SAP system. I know for sure that a version change between 620 and 640 forces ABAP load generation into the database. This would cause issues for an application server that remained on kernel version 620. You should plan to upgrade all application servers at the same time.

Regards,

Gary

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi sameer,

Take a look at note:19466. It shows you where to download the kernel and also how to apply it.

Regards

Cyrus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sameer,

I would like to know how to do the Kernel Upgrade. Could you please send the procedure?

Thanks in advance

Rajesh M V

Bangalore-India

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sameer,

You cannot upgrade Kernel on application servers without doing it on CI.All instances should run same kernel for system to work.So, have some downtime and upgrade the kernel on all instances..

First take upgrade kernel on CI and bring up SAP back and check for any errors..If it works fine then upgrade on all Applications..Also,Before doing it on Production try applying on Development or test systems..That way you are sure not to have any known or unforeseen issues..

Mandatory Post Kernel upgrade Checks:

Check R3trans and TP commands

Check RFC/Communication interfaces

Check ITS/IGS or any other WEB interfaces

Thanks Anil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes.Always apply kernel upgrade on CI first.Check whether you have Kernel file system shared across application servers(NFS).if so juss upgrading kernel on CI is good enough..If not bring the sap down on all instances including CI and do the upgrade..

All kernel releases are downward compatible

Thanks

Anil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sameer,

Just one question, do your 5 application servers share the same /sapmnt/<SID/exe file system, i.e. via NFS ?

If they do share the /sapmnt/<SID/exe file system, then when the upgrade is done on the CI all application servers will "see" the upgraded version. All application servers within the same SAP system should be at the same level of the kernel. When upgrading the kernel from one release to another (not patching the same version), the ABAP load construct may have changed and loads must be regenerated, therefore all application servers must run at the same version.

Regards,

Gary

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gary & Anil,

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I would like to update you that in our scenario there are no NFS mountings of sapmnt/<SID>/exe. The CI and all the application servers have separate filesystem. So in that case, would you suggest that we take proper downtime and upgrade the kernel for CI and Application servers all at a time? Or is it possible to upgrade CI kernel first (so as to minimize downtime) and then can later on upgrade the same for all the application servers?

Thanks & Regards,

Sameer