cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heterogeneous System copy allow Upgrade to 64bit o/s and Oracle 10G

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

What is the best way to upgrade from 32bit to 64 bit os environment for 4.6 - ECC 6.0?

My approach would be:

I want to upgrade from 4.6 to 4.7 Enterprise. 4.7 is still a 32 bit environment right, so I can do a

System Copy using R3Setup and R3Load procedure within set up.

First I will upgrade Oracle to Oracle 10G, on new 64 bit indows OS, then I will do a system copy

from 4.6 System , export to a directory, then use R3Setup /R3Load on new machine to import.

Then on new machine I need to configure new instance, install Liscense as it is new machine etc.

If I want to upgrade from 4.6 to ECC 6.0 I can use the R3Trans to do a system copy on from 32bit

to 64 bit, again I set up O/s and DB first on target machine and then import via R3Load.

If I want after I can use the Sap upgrade program to do a combined Upgrade and Unicode conversion of

the system from 4.6 to ECC 6.0.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have performed an upgrade from 4.5B (32bit) to ECC 6.0 (64bit) on AIX and DB2 LUW directly. You don't have to do any special conversion. SAPup will replace automatically the old 32bit binaries with the new 64bit ones, as soon as they are required to startup the shadow instance. The database load from export DVDs will be performed in 64bit as well, provided that your DBMS works already in 64 bits.

Regards

Francisco

Former Member
0 Kudos

Looks like you are talking about a heterogeneous system copy (export/import system)... When migrating from 32 to 64 bit, tt is homogeneous, so no export/import has to be performed. Using a backup/restore will saves you lots of time..

Kind regards,

Mark

former_member217765
Active Participant
0 Kudos

What is the best way to upgrade from 32bit to 64 bit os environment for 4.6 - ECC 6.0?

My approach would be:

I want to upgrade from 4.6 to 4.7 Enterprise. 4.7 is still a 32 bit environment right, so I can do a

System Copy using R3Setup and R3Load procedure within set up.

First I will upgrade Oracle to Oracle 10G, on new 64 bit indows OS, then I will do a system copy

from 4.6 System , export to a directory, then use R3Setup /R3Load on new machine to import.

Then on new machine I need to configure new instance, install Liscense as it is new machine etc.

If I want to upgrade from 4.6 to ECC 6.0 I can use the R3Trans to do a system copy on from 32bit

to 64 bit, again I set up O/s and DB first on target machine and then import via R3Load.

If I want after I can use the Sap upgrade program to do a combined Upgrade and Unicode conversion of

the system from 4.6 to ECC 6.0.

Hi Ranjaman,

I think it is not necessary for you to to upgrade 46c to Enterprise470. You can upgrade from 46C to ECC6.0 directly.

For example if your paltform is windows, it's mainly a two step procedure:

1. homogeneous system copy using either R3load or Database procedure

as per note # 960769

source: target:

R/3 4.6C R/3 4.6C

kernel: 4.6D 32-bit 4.6D 32-bit

MSSQL 2000 32-bit MSSQL 2005 64-bit

Win 2000 32-bit Win 2003 x86_64 64-bit

2. Upgrade to SAP ECC 6.0 either with a 32-bit upgrade package or 64-bit upgrade package as per note # 862789.

Best Regards

Julia

64-bit upgrade package as per note # 862789.