cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material Classification Value Propagation for 4.5B

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all!

Have an interesting quandary. My current organization maintains a quite complex classification structure for materials; however its original design lacked the forethought of what it would become (before my time). The root of the issue (and thus my question) focuses on the propagation of characteristic values or lack thereof.

We have a characteristic that is assigned to nearly all of our 30 material classes. The list of values associated with the characteristic are the same for all classes. Therefore, whenever we create a new characteristic value or change an existing one, we have the timely task of going into each and every material class to make the update.

I have spent some time researching and understand a user exit exists for the mass update of characteristic values (CLMMD001); however it does not appear this exit is in our system, and we do not have the development resources to spend in the creation of a program.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how we can address our issue either through the user exit (guidance on how we can do this would be appreciated) or through some minimal development work to allow auto-propagation of characteristic values based on a single update?

Thank you very much.

Jack

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Couple of questions, before we could talk about the solution.

How does the update happen today, do you use the standard transaction to update the characteristic values for each class?

How frequent are these updates?

Now coming to the solution part of it, as it is just a updation of a characteristic value the ABAP program that you might have to write should not be a very complex program as there are BAPI's available which will do the exact job. So, given that fact, its a matter of taking the input values for the given characteristics and update all the classes, that means potentially the logic of updating will have to be repeated for all the classes.

However, a more important question would be about the version of the system, given that you are still on 4.5B, you would be moving to the next version sooner or later, right? I guess it would be worth while to take a look and see if the user exit is available in next version and then take a decision accordingly.

Does it make sense?

Regards,

Ravi

Note : Please mark the answers, if found helpful.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Thank you for the reply. Due to the dynamic nature of our environment, updates are fairly frequent. In addition, we are undertaking a large clean-up project which is really the impetus to search out a means to do these updates periodically. We are planning on upgrading in the near future, however the need is current.

Yes, we do use the standard transactions to make updates to characteristics currently.

Hopefully that provides the additional information you were seeking. Thank you again for your assistance.

-Jack

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Looks like there is quite a bit of data to be cleaned up. If that is the fact then there would be need to two programs.

1. To clean the data.

2. To update the data by taking input for one class and updating the 30 classes.

I wouldn't say the development required will be minimal as quite a few aspects will have to be taken care in this. But I don't see any choice either.

Regards,

Ravi

Answers (0)