cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visual Composer - MDA in SAP universe

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

OMG released a bunch of standards around model driven architecture (MDA). From my point of view Visual Composer is the tool inside CAF to design solutions according to the MDA philosophy.

But Visual Composer uses its own proprietary standards to save and execute models (GML and XGL). How do Visual Composer supports OMG standards? How do buzzwords like MOF, PIM and XMI match into our SAP universe?

Any documentation around these topics?

Best regards,

Markus

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello again,

It seems anybody has a good and fast answer for my question. So I will try to draft an answer on my one and looking forward for your comments!

From my point of view Visual Composer is a domain specific tool to design process flow and ui of business applications. What we do with VC is (in fact) domain specific modeling (DSM) using a specific modeling language (DSL). VC generates a model for design time (GML) and for run time (XGL). The model transformation is executed by deploying the application.

I think GML defines a platform independent model (PIM) and XGL defines a platform specific model (PSM). GML defines the graphical syntax for our model, too. I suppose it also defines the action semantics.

OMG uses UML as a modeling language based on the meta model MOF. UML and MOF a very generic approaches for modeling. In fact GML serves as a meta model for every instance of an application in VC. Iu2019m quite unsure, if there is an underlying meta model for GML (perhaps in form of a public XML schema?).

Unfortunately I didnu2019t found any documentation about the transformation process GML-XGL. Perhaps SAP adopted the QVT standard for model-2-model transformationsu2026?

Regards,

Markus