cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ABAP Developer Key

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have quick question about ABAP developer Key, in NW2004s / OS: Windows 2003 / DB: Oracle 10g

In Table: DEVACCESS has one developer key but user is ABC. I want to assigned ABC user to myself how to do that?

Your answer will be appriciated

Thanks

Regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

You should request your developer key through the sap marketplace.

Regards,

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michale,

I understand that, but I have one key already! I want to use that one... I can view DEVACCESS Table key shows there, I just want to put my name on it... or in other words, how to put new key what is the procedure?

Thank you for reply... please let me know if you have any clue...

Angeline

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Angeline,

First of all not a good thing to do.

Secondly if I remember devacess structure correctly since you already have a key it would not allow you to change user assignment because of primary key constraints.

In case you have an R/3 or ECC system you can make the changes using SE16N(&sap_edit) or in general of any release through direct DB upgrade but in this case ieven that won't work because of primary key constraint.Anyways I would not recommend making such a change even if there was not a primary key constraint. In a way it is wrong and it might still not work even after making changes to devacess because of subsequent checks.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry, that will not work as the key will not match the changed UID name - no matter how many dark tricks you try on the table the system will request a key for your sy-uname and sy-uname is an attribute in the key.

You cannot change sy-uname (even in the debugger you cannot do it) without being logged on as the user ID...

What you can do is hijack the user ID itself, but that is not very nice and if it is still used then they will probably notice it if you are clumsy

The system will also write entries to an obscure table because of the inconsistency and SAP will ask about it in the license measurement...!

Cheers and nice to see you back again!

Julius

Edited by: Julius Bussche on Dec 23, 2009 10:52 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Julius,

Thanks. Of course I agree with what you say. That is why I had mentioned : "it might still not work even after making changes to devacess because of subsequent checks.".

Elaborating on subsequent checks:Most likely the hash function/algorithm that validates the dev access key would not accept the user-id devaccess combination.

I have never tried these dark tricks for this so don't know for sure how would it behave but most likely the hash function would invalidate the key itself as you mention.

Regards.

Ruchit.

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

So to resume... you either hijack the user by changing the password and logon with it (which is not a good idea) or request a new developer key in SAP marketplace.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ruchit,

What is more important is that there is a "salt" in the hash in higher releases if you try to hijack the ID.

This is intentional but currently by default it is optional.

It is intended to prevent "tricks" such as this.

I won't say more - people who want to use the system this way can face the consequences at runtime

Merry christmas,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

> So to resume... you either hijack the user by changing the password and logon with it or request a new developer key in SAP marketplace.

Yes, those are the 2 options, together with "jump the wall" (see the comments in the code before the c-call).

But changing the pwd will be disruptive to the user... and SAP will see it in the license measurement.

In addition to DEVACCESS having primary keys, USR41 has used foreign keys in SAPMSYST.

The correct way is to request a developer key from SAP, or have one delivered with the system for experimental purposes(BCUSER, etc).

Everything else is a "hack" and is not guaranteed to work consistently.

Cheers,

Julius

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Completely agree with you... I presume if the user which requested the Developer key is not longer around you can request the key to be removed and request a new developer key for your user if thats the case.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, there are valid use cases to reset a developers password (editor locks, etc).

I have my doubts about whether that is the case here... lets wait for "TA's" explanation why she did not reset the pwd.....

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

First of all Merry Christmas you all

I really appriciated your time and discuss, so bottom line is there is no back-door to do that... I think that big enough for me ( I 100% understand the good way to get key from SAP...

Very nice...

Thanks again

Angeline

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The user name and the installation number are used as attributes of the key, so you cannot "reassign" it to a different user or installation.

The algorithm is in a C-kernel function, but reacted to by the ABAP application (transactions SE38, Se80, etc).

The correct way is to go to service.sap.com and request a key for your user for that installation, then you will have consistent system behaviour.

Cheers,

Julius

Edited by: Julius Bussche on Dec 23, 2009 10:30 PM