Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDOC to PI to MDM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have scenario like IDOC to MDM

where we are sending 10000(records) IDOCS to MDM. so please let me know design concerns for this w.r.t performance, BPM and mappings and also best practices .

Questions like :

1. what is the best way to receive all these 10000 IDOCS from SAP at a time and send it to MDM.

2. What is best practises to send these IDOCS from SAP to PI.

2. Does any chance to effect PI server crashes while we process 10000 IDOCs at a time? Pls. include all best practices for this scenario?

3.What mappings should I use here? Is this multi mapping required while handling IDOC to MDM graphical mapping? Then how?

We are using SAP standard IDOC(HRMD_A) and PI is 7.0

Thanks,

Shankar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sunil_singh13
Active Contributor

Hi Shankar,

SAP PI shows best performance when the message size ranges between 4-5 MB, As you mentioned you have 30 KB/ Idoc, you can send approx 150 to 200 Idocs at a time to get the best performance.

Also as you are sending multiple Idcos at a time, your scenario is best suited to use Message Packaging (available in PI 7.0 (check for Service Pack) and SAP PI 7.1).

If there is no structural transformation required(the structure of Idoc and MDM file kept same) then no message mapping will be required, this will further increase the perfomance. else u can go for One to One Graphical mapping.

If you want performance then dont think of BPM.

Also consider the option of collecting Idocs, and splitting them in PI.

Thanks,

Sunil Singh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunil,

I didn't get this point:

>>If there is no structural transformation required(the structure of Idoc and MDM file kept same) then no message mapping will be required, this will further increase the perfomance. else u can go for One to One Graphical mapping.

Thanks for your suggesions.. any way we required some mapping for do trasfer master data ...

we'll update you once i have done..

thanks, shankar

sunil_singh13
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Generally when we Source and target structure is same then there is no message mapping required.

But as you said you need master data conversion then I think you should have Graphical message mapping.

Thnaks,

Sunil Singh

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

As suggested above, use WE20 to control the number of records in a package. It shouldn't be a problem handling 500 IDOCs at a time, but it all depends on your server configuration and IDOC size.

Cheers'

Abhi

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks Abhi and Neetesh..

I'll work on this and if every thign going fine..i'll close this one and will get you full rewards...

and I have checked single idoc payload size :

source(xml payload) 1 IDOC size = 30kb

Target MDM structure(xml payload) = 5kb

now we are using standard IDOC(HRMD_A07) , may be we can use reduced idoc, because we are not using all segments, so that we can reduce payload size from source side, and also i think we can reduce performance issues for sending 500 idocs at a time.

for sending 500 idocs in one time menas : 500 X 30 = 15000 KB , i think its fine on development servers. After reducing IDOC it may come down.

Our QA and production servers can handle min 15mb files , only our issue is dev server.

Any way thank you for your time and your great help on this...

_ Will get back to you...

Shankar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1. what is the best way to receive all these 10000 IDOCS from SAP at a time and send it to MDM.

Not advisable to trigger 10,000 Idocs at the same time.

2. What is best practises to send these IDOCS from SAP to PI.

Might be sending batches of 300-500 IDocs will be a good idea.

2. Does any chance to effect PI server crashes while we process 10000 IDOCs at a time? Pls. include all best practices for this scenario?

Well, it completely depends on your server configuration and hardware. But as I mentioned earlier, it's not advisable to trigger that many IDocs at one-go.

3.What mappings should I use here? Is this multi mapping required while handling IDOC to MDM graphical mapping? Then how?

It depends whether there is any requirement of using Multi-Mapping. If there is no special requirement, and you just have to pass the messages through PI, then use simple graphical mapping.

Regards,

Neetesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Neetesh, thanks for you guidence..

>>>Might be sending batches of 300-500 IDocs will be a good idea.

can you tell me how to handle these 300-500 IDOCs sending from sap, is this like collecting idocs?

1:1 mapping is suffiicient for receive 300- 500 idocs?

Just now i have tested with 1:1 mapping with 1 idoc, every thing is fine and it going to mdm..but i need to test 2 -3 idocs at tiime and then we'll see w'ther my 1:1 mapping works or not?

I am bit confused how to send 300-500 idocs at time to pi?

Shankar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

can you tell me how to handle these 300-500 IDOCs sending from sap, is this like collecting idocs?

1:1 mapping is suffiicient for receive 300- 500 idocs?

Yes, 1:1 mapping is sufficient to handle those many IDocs, reason being every single IDoc will be handled as a single message. So, even if you send out 300 IDocs together, there will be 300 different messages that will be created in PI.

Just now i have tested with 1:1 mapping with 1 idoc, every thing is fine and it going to mdm..but i need to test 2 -3 idocs at tiime and then we'll see w'ther my 1:1 mapping works or not?

Yes, it will be work fine. I would suggest that you should check for the payload size that one IDoc will be having. Depending on that, you can decide how many IDocs you can send out at one-go.

You might have to write an User Exit around that IDoc to control the number of IDocs that you want to send out OR you can specify the Packet Size in WE20.

Regards,

Neetesh