cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DR Setup for SAP system

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

We want to setup a DR setup for our SAP system runnning on AIX/Oracle/ECC5. Can anyone share experiences, knowledge

on this, how to start and move on in the process. References to documents.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Guys,

I am starting a DR implementation of a productive system, we are using the same server of my quality system, and I would like to know if agree with this step:

-Install a new SAP System, with the same SID of my Productive system on Quality Server. Is it valid?

Our idea is implement Oracle Data Guard on this new System to be a Standby system.

Can I run on the same landscape two systems with the same SID? If no, what is the better way?

Regards,

Rodrigo Oliveira

Former Member
0 Kudos

Might be a good idea to create a new post with your question.

Thanks,

Naveed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

A DR setup is indeed very specific and depends on what the business wants.

SAP however has some very good documents with general best practices about DR and High Availibility.

Check the following link :

[http://service.sap.com/atg|http://service.sap.com/atg]

Especially the links Backup/Restore, Storage and High Availibility.

Success.

Wim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shafi Rahman,

The design of DR environment is purely depend on usage model i.e how frequently your business demands for DR activation.

Otherwise, the installation process would remain same as you build your production system but you need to keep the DR system offline while the actual Production system is online.

In regards, keeping the systems (both DR & Prod) you need to prepare scripts such that you shipt/transport all your data (CI, DI & Database specific).

My experience is, we have DR Setup for all our Production systems but our Production Systems are such robust environments and we never had an incident that requires us to activate DR setup. So although we perform DR drills twice a year.

Regards

Sekhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sekhar,

Hope you are doing great!!

I have very much implessed about your response. Could you please provide more information regarding this DR setup and Uninstallation steps. Hope you understand my problem as I need to uninstall DR system first and then Install on a new system. Thanks

Warm Regards

San

Former Member
0 Kudos

From SAP point of view you can install SAP as standard install and then replace the database using database backup/restore; this method is good for only ABAP system.

If you have Java, you need to perform some additional steps like you need to export the Java from source and import it during opening database (I know I did not explain complete because it is tricky and you need to understand how JMT (java migration tool) works while importing java.

If you are using Oracle Database. We can setup oracle data guard and you need to perform steps on Primary server and need to define secondary database (DR).

Basically we are keeping database in sync on primary and secondary database.

On Primary database you need to add another Log_archive_dest_n to second the log to secondary server. Other parameter needed to be added to initSID.ora or spfile are fal_server, Fal_client, Log_archive_config.

On secondary database also we need to perform changes to init file and keep the database in standby mode (not Open)

Thanks,

Venkat