Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USMM for Enterprise Portal 7.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We have Enterprise portal 7.0 and we want to perform SAP License Audit (USMM) on the same.

The back end for our portal is the HR system. We have performed SAP License Audit (USMM) on our HR system and it went fine.

Do we need to perform a separate SAP License Audit (USMM) for our portal system or the SAP License Audit (USMM) for the HR system can be considered for the portal system as well? We mean SAP License Audit (USMM) is same for HR system as well the portal system?

Can we perform SAP License Audit (USMM) on Enterprise Portal 7.0? if yes then how to go about.

Please help.

Best Regards,

Kunal Patel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

At present there is no separate license measurement procedure available for Enterprise portal 7.0.

No such procedure available till now to measure java systems. However, if you have Identity Management installed, you can perform the license measurement for all systems (ABAP + JAVA).

Else you can ignore and submit the results to SAP.

Regards,

Gowrinadh

10 REPLIES 10

l_borsboom
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Kunal,

For complex SAP landscapes SAP advises to use the License Administration Workbench (transaction SLAW) rather than USMM.

You will find that every unique userid will be consolidated throughout the landscape, meaning that this user only counts 1 time with the highest determinied license type for this user type.

More info on LAW you can find in the [SAP Help Portal|http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_04/helpdata/EN/ee/ee133bfae0750ce10000000a11402f/frameset.htm] or on the [SAP Service Market Place|http://service.sap.com/licenseauditing].

Kind regards,

Lodewijk Borsboom

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

At present there is no separate license measurement procedure available for Enterprise portal 7.0.

No such procedure available till now to measure java systems. However, if you have Identity Management installed, you can perform the license measurement for all systems (ABAP + JAVA).

Else you can ignore and submit the results to SAP.

Regards,

Gowrinadh

0 Kudos

> Hi,

>

> At present there is no separate license measurement procedure available for Enterprise portal 7.0.

>

> No such procedure available till now to measure java systems. However, if you have Identity Management installed, you can perform the license measurement for all systems (ABAP + JAVA).

>

> Else you can ignore and submit the results to SAP.

>

> Regards,

> Gowrinadh

Hey! That's plain wrong!

There is a document with the title: "Enterprise Portal and Duet Measurement" in service.sap.com/licenseauditing. Only: I seem to be unable to find it today. Anyway: note 1151503 gives more insight.

Edited by: Mylène Dorias on Feb 5, 2010 12:48 PM

ETA: kinda found it. Go to service.sap.com/licenseauditing --> Search --> Advanced Search --> Keyword: "Enterprise Portal and Duet Measurement" (yes, the whole thingy), when asked for the 'and' press OK. Second from top in the hit-list is that Powerpoint.

0 Kudos

> However, if you have Identity Management installed, you can perform the license measurement for all systems (ABAP + JAVA).

Somewhat surprisingly, this is not true either. The SAP Provisioning Framework does not offer this option.

The only way to do it would be to create a custom attribute and add it to your custom copy of the framework which you use.

I think the reason for this might be the complexity of license management, and the fact that the user BAPIs only expose the license data to their interfaces since release 6.40. So it would not work on a lower release anyway, no matter what you do in the IdM.

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for replies...

But what I feel is that the Portal will have as many users as the backend ABAP system.

So, if a licemce measurement is odne for the backend system, it should not be required for the Portal system.

Because the Portal will have the same amount of users as the backend.

Any comments are welcome.

Regards,

Kunal.

0 Kudos

> Hi,

>

> Thanks to everyone for replies...

>

> But what I feel is that the Portal will have as many users as the backend ABAP system.

> So, if a licemce measurement is odne for the backend system, it should not be required for the Portal system.

> Because the Portal will have the same amount of users as the backend.

>

> Any comments are welcome.

>

>

>

> Regards,

> Kunal.

Not so! As long as you use your portals for inhouse-purposes only, everything will be as you said. But some SAP customers use their portals for their customers/external workforce/vendors as well as their own employess. Which is why you assign the ID's to 'applications'. The tool will give a measurement statistic for all users in the UME (LDAP). From this point on it is kinda depending on your contracts/agreements with your SAP sales person, which will cost how much ...

Edited by: Mylène Dorias on Feb 5, 2010 1:39 PM

ETA: scratch my first sentence. It's wrong. You might have inhouse applications (WebDynpro/Java) that will only be accessed by employees in the portal only ... they wouldn't need a backend-UserID, then.

0 Kudos

> ETA: kinda found it. Go to service.sap.com/licenseauditing --> Search --> Advanced Search --> Keyword: "Enterprise Portal and Duet Measurement" (yes, the whole thingy), when asked for the 'and' press OK. Second from top in the hit-list is that Powerpoint.

Coming back to this. A bit odd is, SAP has removed that document from the /licenseauditing site. I have spent the better part of an hour clicking every link there in order to find that thing. So you might want to download it, once the Advanced Search presents the hit - one never knows where SAP will hide it tomorrow

0 Kudos

Thanks for the input. Last time when I checked with SAP, they said no process available. we have Enterprise portal 7.0 with SP19, and ran the system measurement. the result in incorrect. May be I need to ask basis guys to implement this note, however still have lot of time to submit the license data.

Regards,

Gowrinadh

0 Kudos

This is always a problem. Since sp16 there is now a measurement tool built into J2EE 7.00 systems, which you can access via http(s)://<url>:50xxx/usmm. Note 1151503 mentions replacing the SDA built-in with a new one attached to the Note via SDM, but at least at sp20 I can't find any value or difference in doing so. So, the tool will measure "portal" or "duet" users, but so far at least it doesn't seem that these always match up well with the backend ABAP users that they really represent (at least for "portal" users -- we don't have Duet here). So, do the measurement, include it in your combined results, but tell the auditor that it's best to ignore the numbers because they don't work.

For non-Portal J2EE systems, like ADS or NWDI, the tool exists but won't measure a thing. It's useless for this. When you run it, it will tell you to pick an application to measure, but there aren't any. So, you will end up needing to disinclude those systems from the total combined measurement.

Anyway, I'm just about to start the fun process of combining the users in SLAW in my SolMan system, so if I get a different result for the Portal systems than I did last year (as in, they actually combine properly), I'll update this thread.

Regards,

Matt

0 Kudos

I'm coming back to this. I have been trying to get that tool of note 1151503 to work. Failed. Opened Call with SAP - here's the answer (I'll delete the name of the SAP employee ...):

04.03.2010 - 10:45:13 CET - Reply by SAP

Hello Mylene,

thank you very much for your message. Please note that Portalsystems

are no longer relevant for the SAP system measurement.

I hope I could help you with this. If you need more assistance please

let us know.

Best regards

<deleted>

Global License Auditing Servies

Question answered