cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easy DMS as an Option will it Justify?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello SAP Gurus,

We are in a major SAP implementation where we are also using SAP DMS, for maintaining Documents we are looking at a single strategy, so not to get confused for training Business with going ahead with SAP DMS or Easy DMS,

i could see we should stick to SAP DMS instead of EasyDMS, as i could find not all the functionalities are available with EasyDMS,

I have the following Assumtions on Limitations of Easy DMS pls suggest if this are possible through EasyDMS,

1) we cannot create Recipient list, 2) we cannot start Distribution of documents, 3) nor there is a good search functionality for searching object links eg. not there for Main notification,

4) and there is no direct link to SAP Inbox where we can update Easy DMS from SAP Inbox or workflow items,

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

As per my understanding EasyDMS is not a replacement for DMS.

EasyDMS provides an intuitive user interface for most used or basic functionalities of DMS.

So comparing DMS and EasyDMS would be incorrect. If you want to use the mentioned functionalities then DMS is the choice.

Regards

Surjit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks surjit for your answer,

So can i take it, we cannot perform some of my Required functionality like,

Create Recipient list,Start Distribution, in Easy DMS.

also the SAP Universal work list and DMS updation through Workflow or portal is not supported going by Easy DMS,

but there are some good functionalities in Easy DMS which are not available in SAP DMS,

can you tell me can we upload the files inside a Windows folder in to Easy DMS directly,

let me explain my requirement,

our actual requirement is we have a documents coming from a different source with a default Document type ZAO,

but after seggregation we would like to maintain the same documents with different document type say ZMO and ZBO

can copy of documents from one document type to other different document types possible in Easy DMS,

Thanks and regards

Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Create Recipient list & Starting Distributionfrom easydms; these operations can be achieved by writing addins for EasyDMS interface and using custom tabs, you must write your own logic, this is not standard in EasyDMS.

check

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/PLM/EasyDMSPlugin(Addin)Development

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/PLM/EasyDMSPlugin(Addin)-Advanced+Development

yes you can upload documents, but this will need manual operation like copy paste or drag and drop of files in to easyDMS folders.

I am not sure if this will help to resolve your requirement.

I suggest you write a program to perform direct creation in DMS using BAPI_DOCUMENT_CREATE2 perform segregation before calling this BAPI and pass the appropriate doc type.

Regards

Surjit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

SAP Easy dms is a simple tool ,which gives all the functionalities of SAP DMS.

We can ,drag ,drop,cut ,paste th e documents.

Versioning is possible.

Search is also possible and we get the same screen as CV04N

Also workflows can be configured for Approving of any documents

We can integrate SAP EASY DMS to our mail box ,where in we can get mails directly to our External mail box.

We can link the Documents to any SAP Object from easy dms.

We can change the status of the documents

We can save/manage all the documents in folder structure through EASY DMS.

And its a free tool and easy to understand for any End user.

All the authorisations/roles/User work from R3 only.We need not create a new user id.

All these are few functionalities of Easy dms when compared with SAP DMS its a very easy to use tool for end users.

Sandhya..

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

EDMS can be used effectively in maintaining document structures, various folders can be created directly suiting the business requirement which is not effectively done thru standard DMS.

also, the functionality like cut,copy,paste,drag&drop etc make more ease working with document system.

Thank You,

Manoj

Makal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ku,ar

The major difference is, "Easy DMS is "easy to use" tool that integrates with Microsoft File explorer. When you log on to the Easy DMS, you just feel like, you have just done File Explore in your windows system. And with Easy DMS, you do not need SAP log on pad to log-on to SAP, to downlod/upload files. It's just as easy as drag and drop. But it doesn't have all the functionalities of DMS."

For more details, please see following thread:

Best Regards

Amaresh Makal