cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Structure Saving

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all;

i have a problem when saving projects specially in CJ20N. the entire structure is expanded (WBS's, Networks, Activities, Copmponents,... etc.). and all the data is read before the saving process takes place.

So for large customers' projects that might exceed 10,000 objects, this cause a huge problem when editing the structure.

can anyone find a reason why the structure is expanded while saving???

thx everyone;

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

virendra_pal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think you need to check ut OSS note 596263 and check all the associated notes

If this fails then my suggestion would be to raise a support call with SAP

virendra_pal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

in ECC 6.0 enhancement pack 4 refer to Handling of Large Projects

go and check out the details on SAP website

Former Member
0 Kudos

Plz note that the customer we are working for doesn't have EHP 4.0; i need to mention that such problem didn't exist before

virendra_pal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is quite different to what I am getting on my system

The system is checking for costs, budgets etc which could take time if the number of objects were more, but it does not open or expand the structure tree or read each element.

Are you using standard SAP set up or there are some development?

Also you mentioned that this has not happened before? Does this happen to all projects or to a few specific ones?

I assume you are using oracle database - I would suggest that get your basis guys to check if the activation type, indexes etc are correct for the project tables like PROJ, PRPS, AUFK etc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Exactly that is what i am talking about; it is the expansion that causes all the objects in the project to be read thus taking a lot of time when saving (and might not get to save at all).

we are using standard PS but other modules like MM has had some development.

this is happening to all projects (not specific ones) on DEV, QAS, and PRD systems.

small projects can get through but big ones dont.

Edited by: Reem Badr on Dec 20, 2009 6:57 PM

virendra_pal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Reem

Usually when I train consultants in PS, I advise them not to use a structure with more than 10000 objects due to this very reason. I normally would not have more than 5000. SAP also recommends that more than 10000 WBS elements in one project should not be used else it will impact system performance (see OSS note for more details)

Check out OSS notes 41269 and 206264 for advice on how to improve performance in Project Systems.

These are the very issues why SAP had to provide for Handling large projects as an extention function in EHP.

Regards

Virendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Reem,

Use Project structure as simple as possible and i dont think there is any need of creating more than 10,000 WBSE in one project.

Please follow SAP Best practices otherwise your system performance will be low and you will suffer while editing your projects.

Muzamil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All;

thx a lot for trying to help.

there is something i want to clarify here.

my problem is not how big the structure is, i can handle that.

the problem is:

whne i save the project in CJ20N, the system expands the entire structure of the project (WBS's, networks, activities and components) even if i didn't work on them.

this expansion when saving didn't happen before it just used to save the project on whatever tree form it was.

the question is why does it expand structure when save. and how can i control this i.e. a transaction where i say don't expand when saving!!!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Makal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Vikas

Read Reem's issue correctly. Reem said, "_Project structure expands when he/she's trying to save the project_" .

The solution you are proposing is applicable, only when you are opening the project in CJ20N.

Best Wishes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Exactly; that is what i am talking about, i already have my options set to 2 levels when openning the project, yet it expands the entire project when saving.

it also happens on the dev & QAS systems where the test projects don't exceed 4 or 5 WBS's; so it is not an isuue of large projcets.