cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move Database instance from one host to other host

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

We have a central system where CI and database instance are on a single system. Now we need to move the database instance to a different host.

Is the process like we need to export / import (System copy) or is there any other way to perform the process?

The database is Oracle 10.2.0.2

And the OS is AIX.

Kindly suggest at the earliest...

Regards,

Phani.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Gerard,

If I follow your method of installing only DI on other host... and point the CI to the DI by changing the hostname in the profiles... Do I need to install the central services instance again on the CI or don't I require it? Just for clarification....

Regards,

Phani.

Former Member
0 Kudos

as long as your are not planning to move to a higher sap version there is no problem.

Your goal is only to wipe out the Database instance in the (CI+DB) system and move it to a different host.

You can just export the DB.

Cleanup the sapdata filesystem.

and point the profiles to the new DB host

You dont need to need to reinstall the Central services you should be fine . central services just contain the message server and enqueue services which is going to be the same anyways.

Mkae sure you check the SCS ,DEFAULT.instance profiles and make sure they are pointing to the right DB host.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Team,

you can try out this way,

create a database instance on a new server.

change the profile parameters of sap system so that it can point to new database server.

also make an entry in tnsnames.ora to recognize the new Server.

Hope it works.

regards

varun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Gerard,

It is like installing a new system with the same SID and NR right? Like doing a system copy from a central system to a distributed system..... correct?

We need to scrap the old system and replace with the new system?

Just to remove the database from the central system to a different host (Distributed system) we need to perform all the activities again?

Kindly suggest....

Regards,

Phani

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Javid,

Your requirement is of hardware migration although only partial. You just want to migrate DB and keep CI intact.

Couple of ways of doing it.

1. Do a vanilla database instance install (only) on new host and then perform system copy. However in that case you need to adjust <sid>adm and ora<sid> profiles (Assuming the DB is oracle). Also need to change DBHOST parameter in the profiles.

You can also do copy the oracle file systems + user profiles+ other files like /etc/oratab etc. on the new host make the changes and try to bring up SAP and Oracle. I have set up one such system (but in that case I am just making use of oracle and not SAP).

On the new host you need to rename .sapenv_hostname.sh/.csh and .dbenv_<hostname>.sh/.csh files. And replace hostname related values in listener.ora. It is iterative process and complex but would normally take the least time.

2. Another way as suggested by Gerard is to do a complete reinstallation.

All in all go though the homogenous system copy guide and then build your own concept.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Javid,

1) take a complete filesystem backup of your current system

2) You can export the DB instance from your source system

3) Cleanup the DB instance from the CI environment ( see whether you can cleanup with SApinst itself) , then you need to modify the profile to point to the right DB host.

ELSE

You can reinstall the CI once again (using Distributed environment option in SApinst), after installing the new DB instance in the new host

Thiswould help you acheive what you intend to..

Thanks,

Gerard

0 Kudos

Dear Gerald ,

Happy New year 2016. Very nicely explained the topic.

But I am having great problem in exporting the DB using the sapinst of ( SWPM 1.0/sp09 )

I have done all prerequisites correctly with the help of SWPM sap notes etc...

I am doing a homo/system copy from one server to new server / hardware/ HA in the target server.

Now When I am starting db table splitting preparation & DB export from the CI server with the help of ./sapinst of SWPM. I am getting error -"dbhome invalid " which I understand that from CI I am running ./sapint and it can not connect to the oracle database which is present in the completely separate server/ host / hardware.

So when I start ./sapinst it is not getting the DB profile to connect to the database into the separate server.

Please be kind enough just tell me the command that I should use along with ./sapint

please correct me , I know I am wrong ...

./sapinst pf=......nr00 ... etc... something like this

Thanks & Regards

Kushal

0 Kudos

Happy New year 2016 to you all. Very nicely explained this topic here.

Please kindly help me any one related to my issue, mentioned below:

But I am having great problem in exporting the DB using the sapinst of ( SWPM 1.0/sp09 )

I have done all prerequisites correctly with the help of SWPM sap notes etc...

I am doing a homo/system copy from one server to new server / hardware / High Avalability in the target server.

Now When I am starting db table splitting preparation & DB export from the CI server with the help of ./sapinst of SWPM.

I am getting error -"dbhome invalid " which I understand that from CI I am running ./sapint and

it can not connect to the oracle database which is present in the completely separate server/ host / hardware.

So when I start ./sapinst it is not getting the DB profile to connect to the database into the separate server.

Please be kind enough just tell me the command that I should use along with ./sapint

please correct me , I know I am wrong ...

./sapinst pf=......nr00 ... etc... something like this

Thanks & Regards

Kushal

thomas_mhl
Explorer
0 Kudos

if your database is on different Server (for example Cluster), you should set environment variable

SAPINST_USE_HOSTNAME=xxx

(xxx stands for the hostname of your database Server)

Regards

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Javid,

This is like moving your setup from a Central system to a Distributed environment( CI separated from DB)

You can Export you DB instance using SAPinst and then create the DB instance in the target by performing a import using the Export dump that was created .

You can select the Distributed environment option during the SAPinst selection in the target.

Gerard

Former Member
0 Kudos

Javid,

Just a note,

For the Target Database instance installation.

Select the option "Database refresh or Move" under System Copy-> Target System . That would be the most appropriate one for your case

Gerard