cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barcode Scanning with SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Need to identify approach for providing barcoding solution integrated with SAP for store-forward capabilities.

This solution would involve a tetherless barcode scanning gun with RF/wireless disabled. This barcode gun would be docked to a receptacle that would be integrated through a client useru2019s desktop to SAP ECC/ERP. Data will be loaded from SAP to the barcode gun in order to remotely scan barcodes within client's inventory. The barcode gun would then be taken by the user from its receptacle and used to scan inventory, storing the scanned data directly into the gun. After the exercise is complete by the user, the barcode gun will be docked back into the receptacle at which point the data stored on the gun would be uploaded into SAP. This encompasses the store-forward approach.

I am specifically interested in understanding whether an SAP solution (like MI using Web Dynpro) can be used for this type of scenario?

This approach will be used to support the following processes:

- Goods Issues

- Cycle Counts

- Bin to Bin movements

- Put-Away

Thanks for your help!

Edited by: Kirk Miller on Dec 18, 2009 6:28 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kirk,

You can refer the below SDN thread, it will give you an overview of barcode scanning provided by SAP Netweaver Mobile.

Regards,

Dhanya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks! I had already looked at this thread, but it does not help me as I will have the wireless capability disabled, so both ABAP and SAP-Java development will not be possible as both require backend wireless integration and can not work offline efficiently. As a result, I am now looking at Adobe Flash/AIR for the handheld solution development. Would you agree with this approach? If not, why? Do you have any recommendations for identifying appropriate handheld vendor solutions that support this solution? If so, what are they?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kirk,

As far as the device is concerned, There are numerous devices which have a built in scanner(And which are evolving very often) and almost every vendor also has a free add on bar code reader software that you can use. You can use this software to activate the scanner and place the contents of the scanned value on a input enabled field(Where the cursor is placed) without any additional coding on the client application.So there shouldn't be any restriction for SAP with respect to this.I guess it is this reasoning that

With reference to the choice of programming language / framework why not use MI 7.1 with Java based development? You will be able to develop offline storage capabilities with this compared to ITS Mobile.

Regards

Narasimhan

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kirk,

Which tetherless barcode scanning gun you are planning to use?

Can you mention the specifications about it?

Thanks & Regards,

Abhijit

Former Member
0 Kudos

That is what I also need to identify...the barcode scanning device. I need to identify a barcode vendor that is both SAP certified and supports Adobe Flash. Can you tell me how to quickly identify all the available barcode vendors that are SAP certified? I have gone to the SAP EcoHub, but it is not easy to find what you are looking for.

Right now I think I will be using Adbobe Flex/AIR to perform the solution development on the handheld itself with integration to the backend SAP ECC system through Web Services. I have been forced down this route since neither SAPConsole nor SAP IM (ITS-Mobile) can be used since the handheld needs to have the RF/wireless disabled. What is your feedback or recommendation?