cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Handle Read Time Out Error..!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Friends,

I am Using Adaptive web service Model. I am Getting Null Pointer Exception When I Use that Service and may That is because in Log i can see that service is throwing Read Time Out Error. So My Question is

1. I can Put a Catch block where i can catch the null pointer Error and Show Appropriate Message According to that. But is it a solution.. i don't think so because end user will not bother about which exception it is.

2. Should the service have its own logic for exception handling.? And by the way this read time error is whose fault.? fault of service or server..? Whether service or UI which should handle this exception.

Thanks & Regards

Jeetendra

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jeetendra,

I think the service should have the logic, because with this approach you keep separate the front end and the business rules, I mean the web dynpro has to get the data, how the data is read from the backend is task of the service.

Regards,

Eduardo Campos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi friends,

can we do something from webdyn pro to optimize the service or to handle 503 service unavailable error. Although i am providing catch block to handle it. but it doesn't seems me right to display the error to end user.

Regards

Jeetendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

The business logic layer should also handle some exceptions on its level. But that's usually being handled on that level - unless the service returns a message indicating that there's an error.

A NullPointerException could indicate that the service is not available or couldn't be accessed by your application deployed on a run time system.

I would recommend you to place a try catch or a throw exception so that the WD application can display it to the user AND log it the trace. This is more of a business requirement or process - the user doesn't really care about the errors - but he/she would care if his transactions are being processed or not. In a case where the WS is not available - then the application should indicate so in a not so technical manner that a problem has happened (i.e. Finance System Service could not be accessed.) -- now, the user should be able to raise a ticket for support to fix the problem.

Regards,

Jan

Answers (0)