cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smartforms Zebra problem with human readable barcodes

Former Member
0 Kudos

ECC 6.0, SmartForms, label for Zebra printers, using new Zebra printer drivers (LZEB2, LZEB3), and using new barcode technology in transaction SE73.

Have created several SmartForm labels for the Zebra printer. All work fine. Having trouble with a new one.

The label has two barcodes. Uses the same barcode symbology (same font for ach barcode). It is a custom barcode created in SE73.

Using a command node to send Zebra commands:

S_LZPL_SETUP '^FWN' to set normal layout (no rotation).

S_LZPL_HR1 'ZEAN128X' to set the human readable flag on the custom barcode.

I used this in many other labels with success. This label is slightly different. It has two barcodes. The other labels only had one.

First label comes out fine. Second is fine. Third label stops half way through with an error on the printer (check ribbon).

I can reproduce this problem every time.

If I remove the human readable setting (remove the S_LZPL_HR1 'ZEAN128X' value in the command node), the problem goes away (and so does the human readable value under the barcodes).

Have checked window sizes, print preview, positions on the form. It looks okay.

Any ideas? I can print the human readable value in a separate field, but it seems like a workaround for something else that is wrong.

Thanks.

Norm

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Hello, I found this in Note 750772:

Switch on "human readable" text for barcodes

Use Control:

Attribut name: S_LZPL_HR

Value: (Name of the systembarcode from SE73)

Example:

S_LZPL_HR 'ZCODE39' (ZCODE39 is a systembarcode from SE73 which is definded with new technology)

Note: If you have to print out more than one barcode type with human readable text in one Smartformetyp there are three more attribute names available:

S_LZPL_HR1, S_LZPL_HR2, S_LZPL_HR3

I hope this will help.

Regards

NF

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Could you tell us how your smart form looks like?

1)

WINDOW

|__ COMMAND

|__ TEXT with 3 barcodes

2)

WINDOW

|__ COMMAND

|__ TEXT with barcode 1

|__ TEXT with barcode 2

|__ TEXT with barcode 3

3)

WINDOW

|__ COMMAND

|__ TEXT with barcode 1

WINDOW

|__ COMMAND

|__ TEXT with barcode 2

WINDOW

|__ COMMAND

|__ TEXT with barcode 3

what happens if you remove barcodes 1 and 2, does human readable code of barcode 3 print?

could you test with configurations 2 and 3?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply Sandra. I have tried several configurations and always get the same results.

I started with this configuration. It has always worked in the past.

WINDOW

|__ COMMAND

WINDOW

|__ TEXT with barcode1

WINDOW

|__ TEXT with barcode2

also tried this (the same ZPL command was used in each COMMAND node)

WINDOW

|__ COMMAND

|__ TEXT with barcode1

WINDOW

|__ COMMAND (repeated same command used above)

|__ TEXT with barcode2

also creating a second barcode with the same configuration. This way I used a different command in each COMMAND node.

Also tried this-

WINDOW

|__ COMMAND

|__ TEMPLATE

|____ TEXT with barcode1

|____ TEXT with barcode2

In each scenario, the command seemed to work (printed the human readable text).

If I comment out one barcode, it does not jam at the third label. However, I stopped after four labels. Do not know if it would have an error after more labels.

I am using the same data for each test.

The barcode is CODE128, normal alignment. Have tried Code128 modes 'A' and 'N'.

I can only think of two possible causes. Problem with the printer driver, or a problem with the data.

I am not sure if the new barcode technology expects the Code128 data to be format. I am passing numerics only.

The two values used for the barcodes are-

Thanks again for the reply.

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

what you can do is putting the final Zebra code into a file (select FILE printer on your Windows, install the FILE printer if not present) then edit this file and print it (copy /b file
computer\sharedprinter) until you understand why there was a problem. Then try to adapt your smart form to reflect the right format.

Moreover, use a test smart form with the fewest data so that to make the smallest file

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Sandra. I won't be back at this client until January. I will try the FILE suggestion to examine the ZPL code.