cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Environmental variables Problems..

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have installed REDHAT 32 bit LINUX 5.0 Enterprise Edition on a 32 Bit System,

When we try to set environment variables for SAP via terminal window using export command the variable set once but when we reopen the terminal we didn't find the environmental variable set by us.

please provide the solution to set environmental variables in REDHAT LINUX 5.0 Enterprise Edition.

Which version of JAVA should be installed in REHAT LINUX 5.0.

and how we will check that java is installed.

Thanks & Regards

himanshu.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

As for environment variables:

Yes, that's the way it works. If you want to set them permanently, you have to do so in some login file. I don't know the details for Redhat, but it's all in your installation guide.

And the same is true for Java version. Read the guide!

hope this helps

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your valuable time n thanks to all of you.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> When we try to set environment variables for SAP via terminal window using export command the variable set once but when we reopen the terminal we didn't find the environmental variable set by us.

Of course not - because if you enter it in the terminal and you close the terminal it's gone.

Which environment do you want to set? Usually it's not necessary to set them up permanently, this will be done by sapinst.

> Which version of JAVA should be installed in REHAT LINUX 5.0.

> and how we will check that java is installed.

I would HIGHLY recommend no more going for 32bit installations; you'll get lots of trouble because of the limited memory.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I agree with Markus, most SAP environment variables wonu2019t require manual configuration. If you need to set other variables (such as JAVA_HOME, PATH, DISPLAY, etc.), then the process is going to vary depending on the shell of your user. Ditto on the 32-bit warningu2026the memory limitations are going to cause you major frustrations.

My system users use bash (sh). The users created by SAP use c shell (csh). Many distributions (including RHEL and clones) have a u2018/etc/profile.du2019 directory containing files loaded by various shells. If you want to set an environmental variable for all users of a particular shell, use this directory.

sh example:

/etc/profile.d/java.sh

export JAVA_HOME=/opt/java
export PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH

csh example:

/etc/profile.d/java.csh

setenv JAVA_HOME /opt/java
setenv PATH $JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH

Tips:

No need to add the normal first line of the shell script.

I create the environment files in this directory segmented on application.

All of the files in my profile.d directory are executable.

Hope this helps,

Zach