cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to mount make mount point of sap in RHEL

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I m trying to install ECC6 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5. I m getting problem while mounting the file system.At the time of installtion i chose extended partion and start partioning .But i m able to make only 10 mount point.Its not alowing to make rest .I gone through SAP Installtion guideand doing acording to that only.

Can any one tell me hoe how to mount all the device which is recommended by SAP.As i m new for linux.

Regards

Ashok

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

joo_migueldimas
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello ashok singh,

I´m doing the same thing, I´m trying to install a SAP system ECC 6.0 with oracle DB on Linux Red Hat Enterprise (version 5). But like you I'm new in Linux and as such I am faccing with various questions, and the first one is the way that directories are organized compared to the windows server!! Unfortunately I´m only have experience in windows server and so because of that I´m not able to do this.. and because of this I want to ask you some things about this.

First at all, I´m faccing with that concept of file systems and LVM concept... The main problem now is understand which ones and how many file systems I have to create before the installing process. So my question is how many files I have to create?

And the second... where and how can I do that...?!

In installation guide I read this:

Procedure:

1. Create an empty file system.

Example

Example for ext2 file system:

mke2fs u2014b 4096 /dev/

Can you help me please?!

Best regards,

João Dimas - Portugal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

for the necessary directory structure and the underlieing disk layout of an SAP installation consult the installation guide service.sap.com/instguides . A general answer can not be given on this.

I'd recommend using tldp.org as a Linux command resource, eg. for configuring LVM, creating a file system on it and mounting it.

Matthias

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can only create 14 partitions, 4 primary and 10 extended on one disk.

Why do you create partitions? This should all be on separate disks.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Markus,

I want to make file system as i m using database DB2. I want to create all the logical volume

for exmaple:-

/db2/db2<dbsid>

/db/<DBSID>/log_dir.

etc

when i read the implimentation guide its given that u have to create all these file system before startingthe SAP implimentation.

So i was creating from extended partion.

May be i m using wrong method method?I m very mch confused how to make these file sytem and mount them.

Need your expert suggestion.

Regards

Ashok

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> when i read the implimentation guide its given that u have to create all these file system before startingthe SAP implimentation.

> So i was creating from extended partion.

Yes.

Those filesystems should be on different disks, not partitions on the same disk. If you read the installation guide attentively you will find out, that it says, that database log and database data containers must not be on the same disk. If you now create partitions you exactly do that.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ashok,

Creating/Mounting a filesystem isn't too hard. There are only a few steps to do this:

1.) Create a partition for the filesystem.

2.) Create the filesystem on the partition.

3.) Mount the filesystem.

There are a few variables that will change what is necessary to complete steps 1-3.

To complete step one, you need to determine both the device and disk utility you wish to use. u2018fdisku2019 and u2018gpartedu2019 are two linux utilities that I have used many times. The device will vary depending on the type of disk and location on the bus. u2018/dev/sdau2019 is a common device location for the first disk. The partitions for device sda will be listed as separate devices (sda1, sda2, u2026). The man pages for your disk utility will be very helpful.

To complete step two, you will need to determine both the partition and filesystem you wish to use. Assuming you wanted to use the third partition of sda, the device you would use is u2018/dev/sda3u2019. Each file system has its own program for creating the filesystem. If you want to use the ext3 filesystem, the manual page for u2018mke2fsu2019 will be most helpful.

The same is true for step 3. The manual page for u2018mountu2019 will help you mount a partition. There is also a file u2018/etc/fstabu2019 that is a more permanent solution for mounting your partition.

Kindest Regards,

Zach

P.S. Partitioning a single disk is not optimal; desired I/O levels will only be achieved by using multiple disks.