cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended response time while pinging

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

In my SAP environment, (SAP 4.7 Windows 2003, SQL2000)

I had observed that when i am checking the ping response time from end user workstation to server is reaching grater than 30ms and some times time out error (approximately, 5 time out errors for one hour). At this situation, i am getting poor SAP performance. When the ping response is less than 8ms, SAP performance is good.

I am suspecting that, SAP performance is become poor when ping response is reaching grater than 30ms.

Whats your opinion on my observation? is that correct?

I want to know the recommended ping response time while pinging from end user to server.

Please suggest.

Thanks & Regards,

Nagendra.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

There is no standard response time from end user workstation to Server.

To check the performance of SAP you have to check OS, DB, Network and the application ie., SAP.

Use tcode ST06/ST04 etc to find out the possible cause for the performance problem.

Regards,

Yoganand.V

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

1100926 - FAQ Network performance

500235 - Network Diagnosis with NIPING

578118 - Long response times on the SAP GUI

919657 - Dialog response times in alert monitor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nagendra,

You can isolate this network problem with the overall SAP peformance problem.

For SAP Slow,you have to look into SAP side.Slow response times for pinging means network/bandwidth problems.

Thanks,

Shyam Dontamsetty

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thank you for your suggestions.And i got some information from the following SAP NOTES also.

1100926 - FAQ Network performance

500235 - Network Diagnosis with NIPING

578118 - Long response times on the SAP GUI

919657 - Dialog response times in alert monitor

Thanks & Regards,

Nagendra.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

The ping time itself isn't necessarily the problem. Our overseas users have a ping of ~120 ms and still have reasonable performance (China at ~280 is another matter). But if you're seeing 30ms on a LAN that suggests something's up with you network (backups possibly?). Are you seeing any lost packets?

Regards,

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nagendra,

The ping response depends on the network traffic and bandwidth.

So there is no ideal ping response.

Ping only sends a packet of 32 bytes and a response time of 30ms is more. What is the network bandwidth ?

Do you have long distance cabling between the your desktop and server ?

Usually if you have your desktop and server in the same LAN, then you should get a pig response <1ms.

So please check with your network team as to why its taking 30ms for the ping response. Maybe there is high network load at times.

Cheers......,

Raghu

alen_mikulic
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would isolate the problem to see if this is due to network problem or overall SAP problem.

I would check the st03n tcode and understand the time taken by the frontend statistics in relation to the time taken by SAP app server and DB time.

If the SAP and DB time are similar during your 8ms and 30ms period then you know where the problem is.

The end user time in effect would be the time the user logs to a tcode in sapgui + the time taken by SAP to process the request + the time taken for the request to travel back to the users desktop.

Also check if the user is connected through a low speed connection in sapgui to ensure the stability of connection.

Cheers Sam

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

I would say that 30ms is a bit high. What you can trie is to ping and sent bigger packets. ping <sapserver> -t -l 1000. See if there a time-outs. If there are than that might be a performance problem. You have to monitor al the link between the server and the client to see where the bollteneck is. Als check if the duplex/speed setting all match together.

Hope this helps,

Regards Glenn