cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to layout static labels on a sheet

AlexGiguere
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi folks, I need to print some shipping labels on a standard 8.5 / 11 sheet! The sheet is divided on 6 sections where I should print the individual labels.

I just uploaded on my flickr account an example of the labels sheet I should print on

[http://www.flickr.com/photos/34819919@N06/4188846794/in/set-72157618476296288/]

It is possible to do that with IFbA? The number of labels to print is dynamic, it can't be layout as a standard table, it should be layout as in the link,

help needed

thanks

Alexandre Giguere

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

this is easy. You need to create a template of a single label, use variables to get the data from the backend to the label and rulers and other drawing guides to draw exactly what you want. Next you will wrap this single label template in a subform so the first one works as a row of the table and the second as a table. Next you will mark the table subform and set content to flowed, western text (left to right), so the second row will be placed right to the first one, next under the first one, next under the second etc. And finally you need to set "repeat for each data" for the row subform, so your template will be copied the exactly how you want - like 5 times for 5 data rows from backend.

Problem solved. If you have little experience with IFbA, feel free to ask again, regards, Otto

AlexGiguere
Contributor
0 Kudos

thanks, I'm getting close! Just need to clarify some things.

I don't know what you mean by "Next you will wrap this single label template in a subform so the first one works as a row of the table and the second as a table."

I created a test form, very basic, with 3 fields that I would like to be layout from left to right (2 columns, 3 rows) 6 labels by page!

Check my last 4 screenshots on my SDN photo set at http://www.flickr.com/photos/34819919@N06/sets/72157618476296288/detail/

Form Interface

I just add an import parameters of type TABLE

Master Page

I did not change the properties, the default contain area occupy all the page

Body Page

In the body page, I just drag the data node from my data view into my page, by default it's already wrap into a subform.

Like you said, my subform content is flowed, the flow direction is western text, also in binding the checkbox is check for Repeat Subform for each data item

I just generate an xml file to be able to preview my form with some data in the preview tab, my labels are not layout from left to right?

Alexandre Giguere

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You need to have the right subforms structure to work with the tables. This is very essential in IFbA. Please read something about that. Briefly: You need to have this hierarchy:

table subform = content flowed, bind to TABLENAME

row subform = bind to DATA[*] and set "repeat for each data"

fields in row subform.

To have your 3x2, you need to set the width and height of the "row" (one label) to fit in 1/3x1/2 of the parent subform size (the table "area"). To test this you can just create the right structure as i said, set the right size of all elements and next on row subform binding set initial count (binding tab) to 6 (that will copy your source "row" subform 6 times).

the most important sentence is: my labels are not layout from left to right ---> change the width and height of each data item/label/row subform to fit in 1/3 and 1/2 of the parent subform size (in hierarchy the parent subform).

Hope this helps, Otto

p.s.: if you want to, send me a preview of your form, i can tell you exactly what to do

AlexGiguere
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Otto, finally I make it work!

Last question, in the row subform I can't check the max with 6, cause if I have multiple labels like 12 (2 pages of labels) only one page will be display, maybe I am missing a settings for this,

Regards

Alexandre Giguere

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello, glad to help, and you´re not going to set max to 6. You must set min to 1 (when copying the system needs a template = a row to copy). You would set init mostly in interactive scenarios when you know the user will write in like 6 lines in average and use max only if you know exactly how many rows do you have (like you know there are always 6 lines, not less = min 6 and not more = max 6).

Use only min 1 and it will behave:)) Regards, Otto