cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two new SCs in the same track - with dependencies

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Guys,

We are going to create an NWDI track with two new Software Components.

1. SC for Services (let us call it SC-A)

2. SC for UI Content (let us call it SC-B)

These are going to be brand new SCs created in SLD and imported into one NWDI track for starting the development.

SC-B is going to be dependent on SC-A.

(SC-B will use various services provided by SC-A which will be made available via public parts).

I will create the SCs in SLD and define the necessary dependencies accordingly (between SC-B and SC-A).

I will then create the track with the above two SCs as developed Software Components.

Initially at the check in stage, I will not have any sources (SCA files) for the above two software components itself (since

they are brand new - without any code yet). However, I will checkin the other required SCAs (JEE, JBUILDT, JTECHS, .. ).

My concerns / questions are:

1. Can we do the development on both the software components in parallel?

2. Let us say, I created a DC with name DC-A in SC-A (via a NWDS activity) and after checking that activity in and activating my changes,

I created another DC with name DC-B in SC-B which uses DC-A from SC-A, would this be a problem?

3. In question 2 above, do I have to take care of the dependencies in a different way ?

(when compared to having both the used DC and USing DC in the same SC)

4. Can I add more SCs into the same track (which will probably use both SC-A and SC-B) in the future ?

I believe that this is going to be just fine but I am a little confused around the initial "check-in" of the requires SCAs into the track.

Also, we are going to spend a lot of time in the development system itself and it would be nice to work in parallel on both the SCs.

(The assembly of the above said SCs is only going to happen after a few months of development effort).

I also understand that we can have the two SCs in separate tracks but we really want them in the same track and be able to work on them in parallel.

Please throw some light in this area ...

Thanks for taking time to read ...

Thanks,

Kalyan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kalyan,

To your questions:

1. Yes.

2. No, make sure to sync you used DC's on DC-B.

3. No, this is a legitimate SC-DC architecture.

4. Yes, but for "future" projects you probably want to use new tracks.

You should check-in the required SCA's AND import them in development.

You can work parallel on both SC's.

You better use one track as assembly/deployment will be on the same date, otherwise you need track connections (either a repair, which needs a NWDS-release of perhaps not tested functionality, or a transport, which needs a complete & approved SC-A, is it?).

Let me just say: I have the same architecture and it works fine for me.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Alain

Answers (0)