Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDN Security Forum in "Santa" mode for next 10 days

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear gurus,

In an attempt to close some threads neglected by the OP's this year and achieve SDN's goals with regards to ponits (see the Welcome thread about the UN food program and other donations made by SAP based on annual contributions) I will be combing through selected threads from the current year and closing them as moderator.

It will be impossible to do a perfect and complete job of this, but I will try my best to be fair and concentrate on those who have contributed valueable inputs of information but not been recognized appropriately.

Feel welcome to post links to threads which you feel are candidates for me to take a look into, or even add to the "FAQ & Memorable threads" sticky. You can also contact me via my Business Card details.

Also please close your own threads and do not dump them all to the top again unless there is a good reason to comment further (the comment field is not mandatory!)

Cheers and merry christmas to all,

Julius

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

> Dear gurus,

>

> In an attempt to close some threads neglected by the OP's this year and achieve SDN's goals with regards to ponits (see the Welcome thread about the UN food program and other donations made by SAP based on annual contributions) I will be combing through selected threads from the current year and closing them as moderator.

>

> It will be impossible to do a perfect and complete job of this, but I will try my best to be fair and concentrate on those who have contributed valueable inputs of information but not been recognized appropriately.

>

> Feel welcome to post links to threads which you feel are candidates for me to take a look into, or even add to the "FAQ & Memorable threads" sticky. You can also contact me via my Business Card details.

>

> Also please close your own threads and do not dump them all to the top again unless there is a good reason to comment further (the comment field is not mandatory!)

>

> Cheers and merry christmas to all,

> Julius

Dear Julius,

I find this procedure objectionable for three reasons:

The community on SDN has failed to achieve its goals. But achieved they must be!! So now the leaders of said community will force the accomplishment of what the community could or would not ... by expressing the approval of the site owner over the community. How does that sound in your ears?

I always understood these forums to be exchange platforms for experts. I cannot see where judgment of 'contributed valueable inputs of information but not been recognized appropriately' comes into that picture. That sounds more like a consolation gift on a beauty contest.

Putting a 'Santa' - cloak around it only makes the whole affair even more dubious.

Personally, I feel offended.

Cheers,

Mylène

Edited by: Mylène Dorias on Dec 16, 2009 6:32 PM

ETA: yet another argument: by extending your role from 'moderator' to 'jury' you are crossing an invisible border. future searchers will no longer know who closed/assigned rewards to a thread: was it the OP or one of the "staff"? that leaves at least a trace of doubt.

Having said that: merry Christmas, everybody and enjoy the holidays.

8 REPLIES 8

Former Member
0 Kudos

> Dear gurus,

>

> In an attempt to close some threads neglected by the OP's this year and achieve SDN's goals with regards to ponits (see the Welcome thread about the UN food program and other donations made by SAP based on annual contributions) I will be combing through selected threads from the current year and closing them as moderator.

>

> It will be impossible to do a perfect and complete job of this, but I will try my best to be fair and concentrate on those who have contributed valueable inputs of information but not been recognized appropriately.

>

> Feel welcome to post links to threads which you feel are candidates for me to take a look into, or even add to the "FAQ & Memorable threads" sticky. You can also contact me via my Business Card details.

>

> Also please close your own threads and do not dump them all to the top again unless there is a good reason to comment further (the comment field is not mandatory!)

>

> Cheers and merry christmas to all,

> Julius

Dear Julius,

I find this procedure objectionable for three reasons:

The community on SDN has failed to achieve its goals. But achieved they must be!! So now the leaders of said community will force the accomplishment of what the community could or would not ... by expressing the approval of the site owner over the community. How does that sound in your ears?

I always understood these forums to be exchange platforms for experts. I cannot see where judgment of 'contributed valueable inputs of information but not been recognized appropriately' comes into that picture. That sounds more like a consolation gift on a beauty contest.

Putting a 'Santa' - cloak around it only makes the whole affair even more dubious.

Personally, I feel offended.

Cheers,

Mylène

Edited by: Mylène Dorias on Dec 16, 2009 6:32 PM

ETA: yet another argument: by extending your role from 'moderator' to 'jury' you are crossing an invisible border. future searchers will no longer know who closed/assigned rewards to a thread: was it the OP or one of the "staff"? that leaves at least a trace of doubt.

Having said that: merry Christmas, everybody and enjoy the holidays.

0 Kudos

> Putting a 'Santa' - cloak around it only makes the whole affair even more dubious.

I guess you don't like Jingle Bells being played on the radio all the time either...

> ETA: yet another argument: by extending your role from 'moderator' to 'jury' you are crossing an invisible border. future searchers will no longer know who closed/assigned rewards to a thread: was it the OP or one of the "staff"? that leaves at least a trace of doubt.

Yes, for this exact same reason I have historically avoided interefering with ponitz. It is infact very usefull information about how the OP is thinking (and possible biases....).

The problem is that some OP's dont follow up until they reach the maximum number of open questions and then do a very sloppy job of closing them. Are you aware of this? Sometimes I delete 200+ "asdf" posts so that you dont need to see them...!

I don't claim to be able to do a perfect job of it, but will try my best and invest the time in it.

> Having said that: merry Christmas, everybody and enjoy the holidays.

I will be doing this in my holiday time, and it is in my opinion an honourable effort if done carefully and with good judgement.

If any others feel the same way as Mylene, then I will spare myself this effort.

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

I feel , This is not a forum for either slander nor to shower praises but, With no offence meant to Mylene, i would think that every proposal / idea or any good intent does have its own share of brick-bats and i personally feel that it shouldnt deter us from what we set out to do (knowing that it is for a good reason and cause)

For a relatively new-comer like me and quite a few others like me, I can understand & appreciate the help and guidance rendered by you and the other experts (Alex, Jurjen, Bernhard.....and many more)

So all that i can say is::Good luck, someone has to keep it clean & you are the "chosen" one (and rightfully so)

0 Kudos

I think what you are going to do here is awsome or in Barney Stinson's words "legendaryyy".

I think I will have to revise my wish list to Santa and ask for more SDN points perhaps

Merry Christmas everyone!

Cheers,

CP

0 Kudos

> I think I will have to revise my wish list to Santa and ask.....

No No No No Noooo! For Santa you have to be a good boy and he reads the forum rules too!

0 Kudos

After reading through about 1000 threads, hundreds of OSS notes and checking updates for the FAQ... I am feeling really smart going into the new year 2010!

I will put some thoughts about my observations together in a blog sometime.

Again a merry christmas to everyone and wishing all your sy-subrc's return 0 in 2010!

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Have a good new year too Julius & fellow SDN'ers.

0 Kudos

Thanks Alex,

It was an interesting experience and I put some of my thoughts together in [The Grinch who stole the Questions|/people/julius.vondembussche/blog/2010/01/06/the-grinch-who-stole-the-questions]

Cheers,

Julius