cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FM or table to fetch the description of characteristic values?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

My question is more technical in nature. I am developing an ABAP report in an APO system. I need to fetch and display the description of Characteristic values.

e.g. if the Characteristic is Material then the Material description

if the characteristic is Location then the Location/Plant description

Thanks in advance,

Vinod

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks but I'm working on an APO system not a BW system. The table you mentioned will be found only in a BW system. Please correct me if am wrong.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arvind,

Sorry! the table you gave only gives me the characteristic descriptions. But I need the characteristic value descriptions.

e.g. if Material is the characteristic and Material number is the characteristic value, I need the material description.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vinod,

If you are using standard 9AMATNR, then try /BI0/9ATMATNR table in APO with TXTSH for Short Description and TXTMD for Medium description. If you are using custom characteristics then as said by Aravind try /BIC/TXXXX with the above said fields for description. This will work only if you maintain the characteristics value & description through the infoobject attributes

If you need from SNP Product Master, then you need to fetch from a Join. Couple the table /SAPAPO/MATKEY with /SAPAPO/MATTXT (MATID is common primary key in both the tables) and fetch the values for MAKTX - Short Description

Thanks,

Rajesh Manoharan

Edited by: RAJESH MANOHARAN on Dec 16, 2009 11:14 AM - Added about Description in Product Master

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Rajesh and Arvind for your efforts. But i could not find any values in /BI0/9ATMATNR and I'm using Demand planning. Nevertheless /SAPAPO/MATTXT will give me only for materials. But I will have varied characteristics.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Vinod,

As earlier said, it will show only if you have maintained the values in Maintain master data option in RSA1 or RSD1. If you have a custom Characteristics then you can maintain these which will ideally get stored in the said tables.. For all 9A characteristics this will not be maintained in the system.

If you probably see the description in your Shuffler for material, then do check what is the characteristics. This might be different from 9AMATNR.

What we have done in our earlier project is to extract the Product Texts through Data Sources (0APO_PROD_TEXT) and use them for generating the reports in BI. We didn't use ABAP reports for DP.

Thanks,

Rajesh Manoharan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can find description of info object (Char) in table - /BIC/TXXXX.

XXXX is your info object technical name.

Sreerama.