cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLG2 Deleting application logs

0 Kudos

Hi All,

I used tc SLG2 to delete a huge number of logs from the db. Before and after i did this I checked the free space in DB02. I was expecting that the free space would increase after SLG2 but I found out htat the free space became less. Can someone explain me how this is possible and what I have to do to get the free space?

Thanks,

Michel

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The answer will depend on your database. In case of Oracle a starting point could be

Note 592393 - FAQ: Oracle

30. Why is the database still occupied to the same extent after extensive data archiving?

If data is deleted from the database, the blocks of the affected objects are cleared, but the amount of space the affected objects occupy is not reduced. To make the space that is no longer occupied available for general use again, you must reorganize the objects concerned. See Notes 572060 and 541538 for more information.

0 Kudos

Hi Joe,

We're using Oracle. So we need to reorganize to make the space available, I can understand that. I can also understand in this case that the free space before and after deletion stay the same in DB02. I don's understand that the free space became almost 4Gb less. What happened with this space?

MIchel

Former Member
0 Kudos

My first guess:

Other processes or jobs consumed the space. And they have nothing to do with SLG2.

My second guess: Logging was switched on for the tables that were deleted by SLG2. (Not sure if this is possible. But quite sure this wouldn't make much sense.)

regards

0 Kudos

Thnx