cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware Infra Design Question

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a question about Hardware and Design for New SAP System base on HPUX.

The question is about Centralize Managment SAP System. (Hardware)

We are going to launch new plant in vietnam and our H/O is located in Bangkok.

We are thinking about Centralize Management (H/W Locate at Vietnam) or De-Centralize Management (H/W located at Bangkok).

Could you please give me an advise or comment between Centralize and De-Centralize Server Solution and Which solution do you prefer, Advantaged and Dis-Advantaged of both solution?

(Example: Datacenter Cost , WAN Link, Maintenance Cost , IT Cost, System Performance over WAN Link)

Thank you,

Vipu

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thank you for all answers. I have understand clearly about my question.

I will work with the implementation partner and hardware vender who has experienced for the infrastructure design.

Thank you,

Vipu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Decision is going to be governed by budget but here are some thoughts:

Why would you consider to put the hardware at the plant? Maybe you have a datacenter infrastructure already in place in Vietnam which may represent a cost advantage but as you said you are going to deploy a new plant I assume the SAP backend is already in place. Consider the volume of data that would need to be moved between the backend and the new solution (let's assume SCM), as someone mentioned before you'll need a good communications link to support product integration. SAPGui is not a big problem (it would be if you use webgui) as the protocol is optimized, sometimes even a VPN is enough; keep the core servers centralized and no remote application servers.

Have you considered using one of the locations for Disaster Recovery? If infrastructure is already in place it would be better to leverage it for DR. If you keep your servers centralized then you could use them for high availability (properly sized to support the load of each other).

As colleagues mentioned above, infrastructure is important but management and security are equally relevant.

BTW - What solution are you trying to deploy at this new plat?

Regards,

Noe

Edited by: Noe Hoyos on Dec 15, 2009 3:13 AM

Diggeshhjoshi
Contributor
0 Kudos

You need to take a service of Solution Architect or take a consulting service from Experienced companies to avoid future headaches and save long term costs.

- Best Wishes,

Digesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vipu,

There is a detailed infrastructure study is required to actually answer these questions. As far as i know, a single person cannot tell you all the answers.

You may need to take care of the company budget and administrative efforts in each of the setups. You may have to work with your implementation partner and hardware vendor.

Well, if you setup the servers in a centralized data center ( which most companies adopt), you will reduce on data center cost and administrative efforts.

If the server are distributed, then you need to have adminstrative personnel at site and also will increase the data center costs.

But the disadvantage with centralized setup is that, you will incur exrta expenses on the connectivity part. SAP systems need good bandwidth WAN connections which might be expensive.

So there are lot of other aspects which you might have to work with your vendors to arrive at the final decision.

Cheers....,

Raghu