cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem in Raw Material Purchase

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have some issues.. I need some advice on that.

one of the raw material used in production is Grain (eg: Rice). Which is purchased in tons from different supplier. these incoming grain are put into quality inspection.

1 - but the order quantity is very large in number. going into several hundred tons. for this there is only one purchase order. but supplier supplies materials in different vehicles eg: trucks, trailers etc and in different dates. how can i map this scenario in SAP QM so that inspection lot is created for every incoming vehicle rather than every purchase order..

2 - grains are supplied in the bags in trucks. to conduct quality checks, samples are taken from these bags but not from all the supplied bags. samples are taken from only the accessible bags. i.e. from the bags at the end of the truck / trailer.

vendor may have put very good quality grains at the end of the truck, as he knows all bags are not accessible, specially the inside ones may contain very bad quality grains. what can i suggest to control this?

3 - it always takes time to conduct quality tests, supplier cannot wait till all test finishes. as soon as goods are received there will be unloading of the grains and these directly go into production. after the test results there may be rejections in quality. Again to control these what can i suggest to the client.

Please give me your advice on these

Thanks and Regards,

Pavan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member186399
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Pavankumar

Please find my inputs

1) Quality inspection is not based on the purchase order quantity. It is always based on the Goods receipt quantity. You have to ask the client to do GR based on the incoming truck.

2) The second issue is more of a discipline issue than the SAP issue. please check what is the current system they have of sampling. if they are not following any then this is the right time to exercise those controls. SAP supports all kind of sampling schemes. check with your client and then revert back for any issues

3) I had the same issues in one of the plant. What I did was I activated 01 inspection without tick in Post to inspection stock. This allowed the stock go to unrestricted when the GR is made. Results are recorded and UD is given for the 01 inspection lot without stock posting as it is done already. Now if any rejections happen you can move the stock from unrestricted stock to block and then quality with activating inspection 08. Then after re testing the sample was either taken back into stores or returned to vendor

But this case was used as there was hardly any rejections for the material, if your raw material has a high record of rejection this will not be advisable. Again the SAP can be help to close all those pain areas and start the with the quality control

Hope this helps

Regards

Gajesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your valuable inputs,

I have some clarity on first two problems.

I will try to solve the 3rd problems with your suggestions and let you know the result.

If I come across any other solution then i will let you know.

Thanks,

Pavan

Former Member
0 Kudos

under way

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

1 - but the order quantity is very large in number. going into several hundred tons. for this there is only one purchase order. but supplier supplies materials in different vehicles eg: trucks, trailers etc and in different dates. how can i map this scenario in SAP QM so that inspection lot is created for every incoming vehicle rather than every purchase order..

Suppose that the PO was cerated for 1000 tonns.Now You don't want Lot to be created as per Purchase order.Then

1.Create a material master for material,maintain QM view for the same.

2.Activate 01 inspection type.In Inspection type maintain " InspecLot Control" as "Per material document."

Against PO you have created ,you can create multiple GR's & every time lot will be created.

2 - grains are supplied in the bags in trucks. to conduct quality checks, samples are taken from these bags but not from all the supplied bags. samples are taken from only the accessible bags. i.e. from the bags at the end of the truck / trailer.

vendor may have put very good quality grains at the end of the truck, as he knows all bags are not accessible, specially the inside ones may contain very bad quality grains. what can i suggest to control this?

This will be only possible by Random sampling.Here SAP really can not help you as far system or discipline of vendor is concern.only control is by increasing the scope of sample collection.

3 - it always takes time to conduct quality tests, supplier cannot wait till all test finishes. as soon as goods are received there will be unloading of the grains and these directly go into production. after the test results there may be rejections in quality. Again to control these what can i suggest to the client.

1.one method can be say vendor has supplied 100 tonns.You have consumed 20 tonns while you found rejection.What you can do is keep the 80 tonns aside.

When Next GR will be made against his next delivery you can do Return Delivery of 80 Tonns for Fresh lot & do physical return delivery of old 80 tonns.

2.Next could be just Quarentine the lot which is rejected & send back to vendor (122 mvt) or ask for replacement.This can be done without GR for replaced material.(may be returnable challan)

You may find other ways also

I hope this will help

Sujit