cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Header Authentication

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey folks,

I'm trying to pass User Mapping Data to the Request Header of appIntegrator Iview. Has anyone done this before ? In the Iview properties there is an option to use header Authentification . my question has anyone documentation how to set it up ? How header authentification works i know, but how must i set up the Iview so that user and password to the Request header of the Iview .

I'm not talking about basic authentication that uses MappedUser:MappedPassword@url.com. That doesn't work.

Any Tips are appreciated.

Also look at

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Francesco,

Unfortunately, you are unable to perform an HTTP header-based authentication to remote web applications using AppIntegrator. AppIntegrator simply generates redirect URLs and does not act as an HTTP proxy. The latter one would be required for including additional headers in a client's HTTP request.

See also my other answer to this at

/thread/13960 [original link is broken]

Regards,

Dominik

Former Member
0 Kudos

ok, but whatfor is the Application Iview Property Screen

Authentcationscheme the Option header is used for ??? Can you explain me that ? If I can add additional Parameters to the Header I can also set the Authorization Base 64User and Password or not ?

You said with an WebAppIntegrator it doesn't work , any suggestions with which Iview it would work.

my scenario:

Iview that access password protected site by Header authorization. Iview passes Usermapping to the Request Header of the Iview ?

Any ideas?

Their must be a way to do that.

Header Authentcation is used so often in this world?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Francesco,

the attribute "Authentication Scheme" (or "authscheme") is not specific for AppIntegrator iViews but can be found throughout all iViews in EP. It relates to the authentication a user must have performed previously against the portal's user database for being allowed to access the given iView.

For instance, you can set all your iViews to user id/password which would allow any user that could login to the portal with his password to use these iViews.

You now choose some sensible iViews that demand higher security (say: ESS iViews) and set their authschemes to "certificate". If now a user who has authenticated with uid/pwd previously want to access an ESS iView, he will be requested to provide a valid client certificate.

This all refers to the topic of authentication schemes, you will find more information about this in the EP security guide available at http://service.sap.com/securityguide

Regarding your problem: SAP does not provide any iView that is able to include additional HTTP headers in a client's request (which would be required for performing HTTP header authentication). You might consider developing a custom "mini-proxy" that enriches a client's request with the required headers (ie.g. an ISAPI filter for MS IIS as suggested in the other SDN thread).

If this is not possible for you, you should check with the application owner if there is no other way for authentication to his application.

Regards,

Dominik

Former Member
0 Kudos

i recall in the ep forum there were some discussions and white papers on the application integration layer. basically, instead of using the appintegrator iview, you can write your own iview utilizing the app integration service. it has so called layers that are stacked together to perform diff functions. you can write and add to the stack, your own layer, where you have access to both the http request and response objects. so you can manipulate almost whatever you desire. jsp and iframe are also involved since that's how appintegrator redirects urls. you may want to look into it and take a similar approach.

i've done something similar (including sso) to integrate an existing web app into the portal. but it was sometime ago and the details are fading....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Wentao Pan,

Are there any howto guides using the appintegrator ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Francesco,

there should be a PDF file in the download archive for AppIntegrator. It's named "How to use the application integrator".

Regards,

Dominik