cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage for remote client copy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Friends,

We are planning to do a remote client copy from production to the development, we wanted to know how much storage space will be occupied,

I have test run the remote client copy and i go the below details:-

Selected tables : 55,194

Copied data in kBytes : 1,040,436,605

Deleted data in kBytes : 5,038,774

Is this above information, copied data in KBytes is enough to know how much storage will be occupied.

In the remote client copy what other precautions and post processing steps have to be taken into consideration.

Thanks,

Anuroop

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anuroop,

There are 2 possibilities to acheive your req:

1) If you have Quality system first Do a system copy from PRO to QAS, Then QAS will become same as your PRO

Then do remote client copy from DEV to QAS (for all clients what you want)

Then perform system copy from QAS to Development.

2)If you haven't Quality environment, i would suggest you to perform client export from DEV

Then system copy from PRO to DEV, Then client import into DEV.

Markus/Eric: I think he is trying to built one sandbox client to do all his testing(before going to QAS/PRO).

Regards

Nick Loy

Regards

Nick Loy

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Markus/Eric: I think he is trying to built one sandbox client to do all his testing(before going to QAS/PRO).

Yeah - but neverless, copying a 1 TB client using remote client copy will take a LOT of time and if the source system is not locked so nobody can work the system will be by definition inconsistent.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

He can always 'system copy' to a temporary box and then RFC copy to the DEV system. Or just go and buy a data refresh product so you don't have to copy 1 TB of production data just for validation testing in a DEV box.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I have test run the remote client copy and i go the below details:-

>

> Selected tables : 55,194

> Copied data in kBytes : 1,040,436,605

> Deleted data in kBytes : 5,038,774

>

> Is this above information, copied data in KBytes is enough to know how much storage will be occupied.

If the database of the target system is the same as the source - yes.

Copying 1 TB of data will take a LONG time. I would prefer doing a full system copy instead. That remote copy may run a week or longer until finished.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Markus for the information.

Our client wants to do a remote client copy because in our dev system we have three clients, so in only one client they want the production data to be copied for there testing purpose.

Yes the database of the target system and the source system is same which is Oracle 10.

So as per the test run the data will copied is 1 tera bye and we need to see that much storage space is available in the system.

Thanks,

Anurop

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Our client wants to do a remote client copy because in our dev system we have three clients, so in only one client they want the production data to be copied for there testing purpose.

This will take at least a week - or longer. If the source systems is still open for users to work on the target system will be inconsistent. I would highly recommend them doing a full system copy instead.

Markus

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you have 3 clients on your DE/V system? are the other 2 clients small?

if so, you could export the 2 small clients, then do a system copy to your DEV system. Finally, re-import those 2 clients.

This being said, putting 1 TB of data on a DEV system does not make sense to me. your DEV system should contains config and programs and a very small subset of data.

it looks like you are trying to copy your PRD system into a DEV client. This is not a good idea.