cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

convert LONG RAW to LOB in SAP kernel 4.6 and Oracle 10g

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

I have read notes 835552 and 646681, then I got really confused.

I am planing to do a export/import to convert a table from LONG RAW to LOB, so I could partition it, and hope it will improve the performance.

However after the reading, I got confused, here is my questions:

1. We use SAP kernel version 4.6, and Oracle 10.2.0, can we convert LONG RAW to LOB?

2. If we can, can we use brspace to do it?

3. what happy with ABAP dictionary? Is the datatype will be changed in there too? I saw some article mentioned that the convertion is a pure Oracle task, and no change in ABAP, so if anyone do re-org by brspace after the conversion, it will back to LONG RAW again.

Please help,

Thanks,

Yanfei

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Yanfei,

> 1. We use SAP kernel version 4.6, and Oracle 10.2.0, can we convert LONG RAW to LOB?

No this is not supported. Check sapnote #646681 ... "The LONG to LOB conversion is not supported for SAP systems with kernels below 6.40."

>2. If we can, can we use brspace to do it?

Sure if you have the correct kernel / oracle release .. please check sapnote #646681 - Point "III. Converting the LONG fields into LOB fields online as of Oracle 10g"

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Stefan,

Thanks so much for the reply.

I had read note 646681, since it is explain how to use brspace to do the converting, so I am not sure the statement "The LONG to LOB conversion is not supported for SAP systems with kernels below 6.40." meant just for the tool, or meant for all the SAP system.

Is there a reason LONG-LOB converition cannot be done below kernel 6.4? Because the ABAP dictionary?

Please advice,

Thanks,

Yanfei

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Yanfei,

> Is there a reason LONG-LOB converition cannot be done below kernel 6.4? Because the ABAP dictionary?

Please check sapnote #500340 (3. When did SAP started to use LOBS?) .. it is a limitation by SAP .. so in both cases your SAP release is too old.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Stefan,

This is very helpful.

yanfei