Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a new Dimension Object in BW MDX Universe

former_member723608
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am trying to concatenate 2 string elements in a Dimension Object within an MDX BW Universe.

Based on some research I have done, it seems like concatenation of strings can be accomplished with the + (plus) operator.

When I concatenate the strings, I get no parsing errors, but I get errors when using the universe in a webi report.

In the universe, the dimensions are defined as follows: [0FISCYEAR].[LEVEL01] and [ZPD_PRD].[LEVEL01]

I have tried many things:

[0FISCYEAR].[LEVEL01] + [ZPD_PRD].[LEVEL01]

<EXPRESSION>[0FISCYEAR].[LEVEL01] + [ZPD_PRD].[LEVEL01]</EXPRESSION>

@Select(Time\Fiscal Year) + @Select(Time\Period)

<EXPRESSION>@Select(Time\Fiscal Year) + @Select(Time\Period)</EXPRESSION>

If I don't put the <EXPRESSION> xml tags around the concatenation I get an XML parsing error in the webi report, but when I put them in, I believe it is trying to interpret the dimension as a MEASURE.

I secondary need I have is to concatenate some static text (eg. "TEXT XYZ") to a single dimension, but am having the same challenges.

Can anyone help? I suspect there is a different XML delimiter I need other than <EXPRESSION> to make this work.

ANy help is appreciated. Thank you!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bret,

MDX supports such expression but unfortunately SAP BW does not support calculations that return string or date, only numeric values are supported for calculated expressions.

This is an SAP limitation and to address this issue you have to write SAP exit.

Regards,

Didier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

You have two options to fullfill your requirement...

1. Use Concat(e) function in universe while creating Dimension Object.

2. In WebI if you use Concate([Obj1],[Obj2])

If you need space then..

Concate([obj1],Concate(' ' ,[Obj2]))

Thank You!!

Answers (0)