cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Business Connector to PI Migration

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

In out project we have Business Connector 4.7 setup which we need to migrate to SAP PI 7.1. I am basically a PI person and have zero idea about SAP BC.

Please let me know if anyone has any documents about SAP BC to understand the basics and also documents for migration from BC to PI. Searched on SDN but could not find the right match. It would be greate if you experts can help me in terms of migrating from SAP BC to SAP PI.

Thanks,

Dhawal

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You might have BC developer installed in some of your machines. If you do, then you will find all relevant documents about BC configuration in the installation folder itself.

Regards,

Prateek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thanks for all your responses. I would like to know from where I can check the source and target data structures that are being used in a particular scenario, the mapping between source and target, the format in which the receiver receives the data (File, IDoc etc). Please let me know where I can find all these details.

One more thing is, how can I check if BC Developer is installed (possibly on the server) and then access the same? Does this tool contain all the information same way we see in ESR and ID?

Please help.

Regards,

Dhawal

former_member750652
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Dhawal,

bold Q1. I would like to know from where I can check the source and target data structures that are being used in a particular scenario, the mapping between source and target, the format in which the receiver receives the data (File, IDoc etc). Please let me know where I can find all these details. ?bold

Business connenctor environment is entirely different from PI .There are no separate sections like IR & ID where u can see all the objects seperately.U would build the integration logic based on java components called FLOWSERVICEs in BC . Each and every flow service does specific task jus like javamethods its a Java based environment based on webmethods tool flavoured by SAP. All you need to do is choose the right flow services and configure them in right sequence by connecting them.Due to time and space constrains i could not throw much light on this.i would like to share an example to compare PI with BC. (i have no idea on blogs on BC in sdn) . i will try to post one on it soon

normally in PI to read a file u would choose FIle adapter in communication channel and provide acess parameters in a single Java template and you can acheive the same by using "COMBINATION" of flow services. in BC i would choose the flow services and join them as follows.

1.Login (to log in to FTP where i will provide log on credentials).

2.CD ( To look into directory which i will specify as parameter in this flow service).

3.mget ( To get all the file names as list).

4.logout (to log out sucessfully from FTP).

and there are so many built in flowservice and u have to make right choice.in PI you would provide all these details in a single template.

Regarding Mapping for each every flow service seperate mapping editor will be opened in BC and you would add the flow service called Record or REcordlist .in here we will have to import our source and target structures to map.

boldQ2. One more thing is, how can I check if BC Developer is installed (possibly on the server) and then access the same?bold

For this you need to install BC server in one system and install BC client in any other system and acess (just like ABAP session acess in R/3).or server can also act as client.

boldQ3. Does this tool contain all the information same way we see in ESR and ID?bold

There are no seperate things like ESR and ID every thing that u develop has go be organised as

Package that contains Folders wich inturn contain group of flow services and we will have to run them in a wizard called scheduler that activates the flow serivies periodically similar to poll interval in PI.

Sorry that i cant provide much info as it would be of no use even if i keep writing story with out BC before you .Even i had to face the same situation while working with BC in real time.

Hope your question is awnsered

Thanks,

Ram. (i coul dnot format the reply in my browser)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ram,

Thanks a lot for all your efforts you put in to clarify my doubts. Although my problem is not solved yet, your reply has definitely added some more insights to my BC knowledge. I will surely check the things as per your recommendations. If that solves the problem, nothing better than that.

Thanks once again.

- Dhawal

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I recently worked on SAP BC to PI7.1 migration.below points you need to consider while migrating

1)XSLT Mapping programs will work fine with minimal chnages.

2)You need to convert all JAVA coding in to PI JAVA coding,SAP BC follows WebMethods programing,so you nned to convert it in to same.

3)You required some WebMethods /SAP BC knowledge ,SAP BC use WebMethods developer then only you feel more comfortable to analyze the Bussines Connector Flows.

Better to search in Web Methods forums to get documentattion about Web Methods developed,as a already said bot are same,

4)Never try to replicate the same design in SAP BC,better to plan and design PI accordingly,most of us try to replicate the same design in PI,its not a best practice,bcz i faced some problems.

for documentation better to searh in WebMethods forums,you will getting it.

Regards,

Raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, well first is not that simple to do that, but if you read the guide you will undestand a lot of terms.

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/a8424011-0d01-0010-e19d-e5bd8ca52244&override...

also you can check all the documentation in

http://service.sap.com/connectors

if you sill have question put in this thread.

Regards.

Marco.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marco,

Thanks for the reply. I have already seen the first link you've given and the second link explains more or less the same thing. In fact, that's the enough theory I should know to kick start. Now, I would like to see something which would help me map my existing BC scenarios to PI scenarios.

Thanks,

Dhawal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, but the bad thing if you have a lot of JAva code inside of the BC development, you must aconditionate to PI, this is the most complicated thing, once i was in a project, and finally we decided to make all the interfaces again in PI, it was the better way.

Regards.

Marco.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Feel free to contact me about SAP BC migration questions.

Regards,

Fatih

former_member183909
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I also did a BC to PI "migration"....there was a mix of XSLT too as well as lots of BC flows. Ended up scrapping the plans to migrate the XSLT and redid the entire lot using the PI Graphical mapping and ccBPM. Sooooo much better and well worth the effort !.