cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB-Communication in ABAP and J2EE

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello!

I would like to know the similarities and differences in ABAP and J2EE regarding their DB-Connectivity.

Which <b>DB-API</b> is used in <b>ABAP-</b> and <b>J2EE</b>?

What is about the management of the resources and processes, performance in both parts?

Thank You!

P. Henke

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

good

go through these links which will give you the idea to give the details about the databse communication between abap and j2ee.

http://searchsap.techtarget.com/searchSAP/downloads/chapter-june.pdf

THANKS

MRUTYUN

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Peter!

For both languages - ABAP and Java - SAP offers a Dictionary (for definition of database objects) and Open SQL (for database independency), you may also in both languages embed static SQL scripts into you code (via SQL/J in Java).

For Java there' s the Persistence-Framework offering three support levels, Vendor-JDBC, Native and Open SQL the last one guaranteeing the maximum support. You may in Java access data - via JDBC and SQLJ - in a relational or - via EJB/CMP or JDO - in a object-relational way.

Performance-Features like Table-Buffering exist also in both stacks.

Please have a look at <a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/de/61/fdbc3d16f39e33e10000000a11405a/frameset.htm">Developing Java Persistence</a> for more information regarding the Java-Part.

Regards,

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

many thanks for your answer.

So is it correctly if I assume, that:

1)OPEN SQL is standard-DB-API in ABAP-case

2) JDBC is standard-DB-API in J2EE-case or not?

I know at least 4 different possibilities

a)Vendor JDBC,

b Open SQL/SQLJ

c)Open SQL/JDBC

d) Native SQL

I have information, that JDBC-access in the area of J2EE is not desirable...

Thank you!

Regards

A. Henke

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Axel!

In SAP Java Open SQL provides the highest level of support:

-) Table Buffering

-) Statement Pooling

aso.

SAP suggests that for relational data-access you should use SQLJ as it provides lots of features like syntax check if

-) you may use static SQL statements and

-) work on DDIC tables

JDBC - Open or Native - is being needed if you deal with dynamic SQL statements.

In case you prefer O/R Mapping, you should use EJB BMP with JDO (which allows cross-table mapping) or EJB CMP.

Regards,

Thomas