cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reuse existing MaxDB datafiles during migration

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

We did test heterogeneous migration of the SAP system with MaxDB 7.7 using SAPInst together with Migration Monitor. Now we are planning to proceed with productive migration.

Creating of datafiles during test run took 4 hours, so I am interested if there is some how to reuse existing datafiles and logfiles of MaxDB. Because when I configure SAPInst and I define number of log volumes which I need, SAPInst is asking if I want to reuse the logfiles (I respond "OK"). But when I configure number of datafiles which I need, I just receive input error regarding not enough of free space.

Is there any way how to reuse these MaxDB datafiles and not deleting and recreating it ?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Best Regards,

Emil

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Is there any way how to reuse these MaxDB datafiles and not deleting and recreating it ?

No, there's no way to reuse data volumes.

One of the reasons for that is, that the data volumes are chained over pointers in the respective volume headers and have to fit into the chain of data volumes. Also the the data volumes have to fit to what is configured in the database parameters.

You can however tell MaxDB not to format the data volumes, by setting the parameter FormatDataVolume (FORMAT_DATAVOLUME) to NO.

This setting however means that the volumes are not completely formatted and only the space is allocated at the file system.

Anyhow - are you positively sure that you need to perform a heterogeneous system copy?

Be aware that this is really only necessary when you want to switch the platforms byte-order.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Lars,

We are doing copy from SunOS to Linux X86_64, so I suppose heterogenous copy is needed.

Regards,

Emil

Edited by: Emil Tkac on Dec 10, 2009 8:16 AM

Answers (0)