cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Methods of monitoring the status of an upgrade

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm looking for better methods of monitoring the status of a patch upgrade. I am familiar with the following:

1. In SPAM - Status, Log, and Action Log of the Queue. - These logs don't seem to give you an up to the minute look at what is going on with the upgrade.

2. /usr/sap/trans/tmp - I've been told that files in this directory should give you the latest status on the upgrade process but again, I can't seem to find anything current.

3. Obviously SM50 and ST06 - to see that WP's and CPU are being used.

I'm currently running an upgrade which appears to be hung. SM50 has an occasional Read to table: BTCCTL, the CPU is averaging about .8 in ST06, the action log's last entry was almost 24 hours ago and states, "Import phase "IMPORT_PROPER', and I do not see anything relevant in /usr/sap/trans. If it were not for the occasional read in SM50, I would kill the upgrade and try starting over.

My question: Is there a better, more effective way of determining what is currently going on with an upgrade and a way of finding out, for sure, if the upgrade has gotten hung up?

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marvin,

The reference path, files, tool and transactions you mention are the pretty much every one mostly refers to monitor the progross of deployment.

But, I can still share the best link that i always refers to understand what's being happenning during the course of deployement at each and everystage....like the stages you mentioned

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/29/ff9036e1e4b603e10000009b38f889/frameset.htm

You may refer 'Phases' & " Troubleshooting' sublinks of this above url.

I hope this helps you.

Regards

Sekhar

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bob,

Can you please check whether there are any dumps in ST22. As it has taken lot of time to import.

Thanks,

Sandeep Singh DS

Former Member
0 Kudos

I appreciate all of the feedback. The information has been very helpful. For this particular upgrade that I was working on, the problem has since been resolved. I had to stop the instance, delete the R3 SQL packages and restart SPAM. After this was done, the upgrade finished successfully. Thanks again for the help.

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think you have most of it covered... SP's usually don't simply stop responding (if they do probably theres a problem with TP) so your approach looks pretty good to me.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

You definitely need to look into the /usr/sap/trans/log, check the most current logs (SLOG, ALOG)

Cheers Michael