cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DMS query ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Friends

Is DMS mdt for attachments and text transfer. If optional does it have impact on SAP or do we need to use any alternate package which performs the task of DMS

Regards

Micheal

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Makal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Micheal

Without DMS also you can attach the files to individual object like, sales order, purchase order, project etc..

To access that particular file, you'll have to first open the object & then you download the document & then you can see.

If you want to attach one document to material master, purchase order, project & sale order, you need to attach the same document to all the object individually & you are wasting your database by doing so. And as I told before, disadvantage is that, you can't see the document unless you open the particular object.

With DMS you have lots of advantages.

Your files are stored in secure location

+ you have control over your documents+

you can search the document at any point, without opening a particular object

you can attach single documents to multiple object etc....

Now coming to your question

Is DMS mdt for attachments and text transfer.

It's not mandatory, but depends on your requirement.

I hope this information helps you.

Amaresh Makal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amaresh

Can u provide some more advantages and disadvantages of DMS. Is there any performance issue in SAP side

Regards

Andrew

Makal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Amaresh

Can u provide some more advantages and disadvantages of DMS. Is there any performance issue in SAP side

Regards

Andrew

Andrew,

SAP recommends, to have different content server.

Because initially you might feel that, "you have very less volume of data", but what about after 4-5 years later? If the volume increases, definitely it'll affect the system performance.

If you are really sure that, you data won't increase considerably even after years, then you might consider ECC server for uploading files.

In one of my projects, we had about 500MB of documents (All were PDF files) across the organization. And there was no reason for my client to have separate content server, as they were sure, even after 3-4 years later, their data won't go beyond 1.5 GB. So we did it within R/3.

Take the call, based on your client's requirement.

Thanks

Amaresh Makal