cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain Migration for SAP System

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

Now assume, we are having our SAP server (ABAP+JAVA)(Windows 2003, ms sql) development as domain installed systems say "india\<SID>adm". Now, due to some reasons we need to change the domian to say "corp\<SID>adm". Would like to know whether this can be done. If we do so then what will the impact and what are all the steps we need to do for the same. Please suggest me the expert advise.

we have found related snotes : 1233320 where it states that there must be Homogeneous system copy. we don't want to do the Homogeneous system copy at this stage.

Can you please help us on this issue without doing system copy?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Suresh

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Someone else will have to speak about the JAVA component, but an ABAP system copy using the detach/attach method when you're not even changing hardware can be accomplished in a couple of hours. I would think it would be far easier to do the system copy than try to track down everywhere the domain account is referenced.

Regards,

Michael

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I do confirm that the simple copy is not a big issue for ABAP stack, recreate / update groups, account used for service, rights on shares, OPS$ user for Oracle...

SAP does not create registry entries except for services and for SAP MMC console.

I do not know the impact for JAVA, I do not feel there are more components involved, but you should try on a test system...

I feel like SAP created note 1233320 just to avoid having OSS messages created in that area.

I did move ABAP stack outside of a domain without any problem.

I would be very interested if anyone is aware of a real technical issue if not using homog. copy.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I do confirm that the simple copy is not a big issue for ABAP stack, recreate / update groups, account used for service, rights on shares, OPS$ user for Oracle...

> SAP does not create registry entries except for services and for SAP MMC console.

Registry permissions?

> I feel like SAP created note 1233320 just to avoid having OSS messages created in that area.

I think it's because everything changes from release to release, 7.10 has an hostagent which would need to be transferred too etc.

> I would be very interested if anyone is aware of a real technical issue if not using homog. copy.

I'm not sure what the problem is running sapinst and creating an instance and connecting the database. If you stay on the same machine you don't even need to copy the database files over

Markus

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> we have found related snotes : 1233320 where it states that there must be Homogeneous system copy. we don't want to do the Homogeneous system copy at this stage.

>

> Can you please help us on this issue without doing system copy?

Whether you "want" this or not, this is the only supported way.

You'd need to do a LOT of manual work (permissions/ACLs of filesystem and registry keys, dll registrations, profiles, registry key) - all those things are not documented.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you are not able to do a homogenous system copy, you can change the domain manual.

Which is not recommended by sap...and would be lot of manual corrections after change.

Regards

Nick Loy