cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sequence of steps in PPDS planning run

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

What is the difference between a DS heuristic run and an optimizer run in PPDS. Both seem to reschedule orders and load resources. Except that the optimizer also has a cost function associated with it (combination os setup costs, time, makespan etc etc) ?

Also as per my understanding the production planning run takes place first, this is followed by the DS heuristic and then you run the optimzer. Am I right ?

Thnx

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member583456
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi GS,

it doesn't make sense to run a DS heuristic and afterwards the optimizer. It doesn' t help the optimizer to run a DS heuristic first, the optimizer anyway creates its solution from scratch.

So, you use after the production planning run either a DS heuristic OR the optimizer. Which one you use depends on your business needs. Typically you will run a DS heuristic in case you want to create a certain sequence of your operations on a resource. The optimizer usually is used to produce the best solution according to certain criteria like minimal setup durations or minimal due date violation, etc.. The costs you can maintain for the optimizer are the way to tell the optimizer which goal is the most important.

Best regards

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

I dont think this is true. U run the DS heuristic and then run the optimizer. U cannot run the infinite planning run and then directly run the optimizer. U need to run the DS heuristic and then run the optimizer. Am I right ?

Also what is the difference between scheduling profiles and DS heuristics? Both seem to have similar settings and similar purpsoses.

former_member583456
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi GS,

surely you can run infinite planning and then run the optimizer.

You are right that the scheduling via scheduling profiles and the DS heuristics are very similar. The difference is that the DS heuristics are more flexible and - especially in later releases (greater than SCM4.0) - can handle more complex scenarios and also provide additional functionality.

For simple sequence scheduling you can just choose the technique that you personally perfer.

Best regards

Thomas

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi GS,

The sequence of steps is purely customised ie in

align with the business requirements.

If your business requirement requires only PPDS

optimisation to be planned, then you need to plan

accordingly.