cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP to PI/XI to Extranet as PDF

Former Member
0 Kudos

The requirement is that SAP is being called from an external website (Sharepoint Extranet), and SAP is sending back fields in one step, and, in another step, a PDF is sent externally for display. I am not quite sure why yet, but the developers are trying to exclude any middleware including XI/PI. We do have PI/XI in house. I have some previous XI experience, my thinking is that using PI/XI would not only enhance the functionality for future requests, but would also take care of some of the heavy lifting for potential issues I've listed below for each requirement.

The requirements and potential issues:

1)From the website a user selects an SAP Order number, calls SAP (RFC/BAPI) sends back a list of all deliveries for the Order Number.

issue: Will authentication to enable log in be less complex if we use PI/XI?

2)From the website the user sends fields to SAP to post a Goods Issue, in return SAP sends back SAPSCRIPT docs as a pdf to the website for display.

issue: Our Sharepoint Extranet Developer is having issues (opening/displaying) the PDF that is being sent to him from SAP as an xstring binary type. Wouldn't the use of PI/XI make it easier to send/display a PDF to a Sharepoint website for display.

I am open to all, or any suggestions related to the 2 requirements above. It just seems to me that PI/XI would make these things easier to do.

Thank-You.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Tom,

I completely agree with you. In your present scenario, it will be a good idea to take the advantage of different functionality of PI.

1)From the website a user selects an SAP Order number, calls SAP (RFC/BAPI) sends back a list of all deliveries for the Order Number.

issue: Will authentication to enable log in be less complex if we use PI/XI?

PI will help in better logging, error handling, message tracking, alert generations and streamlining the IT architecture. If PI / any other middleware is in your architecture, it is advisable to make use of the middleware tool and discourage the point-to-point integration.

2)From the website the user sends fields to SAP to post a Goods Issue, in return SAP sends back SAPSCRIPT docs as a pdf to the website for display.

issue: Our Sharepoint Extranet Developer is having issues (opening/displaying) the PDF that is being sent to him from SAP as an xstring binary type. Wouldn't the use of PI/XI make it easier to send/display a PDF to a Sharepoint website for display.

Yes, handling of attachments and sending acknowledgments is a lot easier and simplified through PI.

Let us know if you have any issues.

Regards,

Neetesh

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member200962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Wouldn't the use of PI/XI make it easier to send/display a PDF to a Sharepoint website for display.

If opening a PDF file is difficult for the end application, then PI has to convert the file to some other format which will be easily accessible for Sharepoint (assuming that business is open to this change).....the PDf file sent by SAP and PI wont change in terms of functionality....If it is the message format (structure) that is causing problem when send from SAP then manipulating the same in PI and re-generating the PDF may help.....it is lot better to do such manipulations than to have them in SAP.

Regards,

Abhishek.