cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM - Expression Functions - Upper

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am unable to get the upper expression function to work. Is this a 'bug' in the software?

Running MDM version 7.1 SP03

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

UPPER("Short Description") did not work - still receiving the same error.

Short Description is the name of the free-form text field. The actual value of the field will change per record (e.g., fire blanket, finger cots). We want them to be stored in upper case (e.g., FIRE BLANKET, FINGER COTS).

former_member189669
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for clarifying on this.

Please ignore usage of quotes.

We can achieve this by 2ways:

1.Set Assignment in Dat amanager > UPPER(Short Description). Select 'Short description' from Fields menu in expressions window.Set Assigned field = Short Description .

Execute assignment on main table record to transform text into uppercase.

2.If you are creating records through import using import manager - During Import > Set value conversion > Change case - UPPER CASE.

Regards,

Vinay M.S

michael_theis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Reinhardt,

> Select 'Short description' from Fields menu in expressions window.

This is the important step. Do not type the field name, but select it from the window. Otherwise the field won't be recognized.

Best regards

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

UPPER works fine with MDM 7.1.3.XX; I too agree with the point " Do not type the field name, but select it from the window. Otherwise the field won't be recognized."

Stand expression function should be in color BLUE

Fields and attributes should be in color PINK

and any custom values should be in color BLACK

thanks,

Alexander

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Both assignment and change case in Import Manager worked perfectly! Thank you for your assistnace - it was greatly appreciated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

UPPER(Short Description) is the exact expression I am using. I want to make sure the short description, which is a free-form text field, is upper case, thought this expression would do that. But it doesn't seem to be working. I receive the following error when I execute the validation.

One or more records cannot be savbed because of tye following validation errors:

*Upper [Upper]

former_member189669
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Please use double quotes while defining the text.

UPPER("Short Description")

This should work.

Please try and let me know.

Regards,

Vinay M.S

former_member189669
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Rein,

Upper expression should work in MDM7.1 also. Can you please mention the expression you are trying to execute ?

Normally syntax would be : UPPER("hi") will return "HI" .

Regards,

Vinay M.S