Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Run out of space in sap server

sbmrafikul2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have run out of space in one of our SAP server. For this reason we regularly got dumps in SAP.Our network/IT dept is preparing to add new disk to that server.This is the first time when i face this type of scenario, so my question is that as a SAP Basis consultant what are the point should i remember or note down?

I already take the back up of the database,sap system information,sap componant information ,current kernel information of the sap systems.Is these backup data and the info which i take from my system will sufficient for me to reinstall/restore data & rebuild the SAP system as it is after adding Disk.

If i posted this in a wrong forum then let me know the correct forum.

Regards,

Jituda

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I presume that your local disk bays are full and you are replacing a disk (or more than one) with ones of larger capacity.... if thats not the case then I why a restore?...

In anycase... As long as you have a consistent backup (offline, or online + redologs) you should be fine.

sap system information,

Well.. You need to know what version of SAP your restoring... Yes.

componant information

Not required... thats all on the DB...

current kernel information of the sap systems

Not required, I presume you keep all your systems on the same kernel patch... nothing to be too worried about.

In anycase is not a bad practice to gather as much info as you can... 😄

Regards

Juan

sbmrafikul2
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for your immidiate response

yes you are right our local disk bays is full and you are replacing a disk (or more than one) with ones of larger capacity.

One more query Is it useful to take the info of the environment variable details of the current system?

Kind Regards,

Jituda

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can take all the info you need to help you put the system back toguether...

In any case info about env. variables should be on the installation guides.

If your system is based on windows... why don't you take a ghost image and reload it afterwards... it might be worthy to look into it.

Regards

Juan

sbmrafikul2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Juan,

Thank you for sharing the valuable knowledge.I already got the answer of my concern.I just want to mark this thread as answered but again a simple query

> why don't you take a ghost image

What is ghost image?How can we take this image?

I searched in google but could not find a helpful info.Could you please elaborate about this ghost image.Thanks

Kind Regards,

Jituda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jituda,

Ghost Image is basically performing disk cloning.

Ghost is software name using which you create a image/snapshot of your disk from Norton.

In very basic terms, Basically, "ghosting," (otherwise known as "imaging") is a snapshot of

your system partition into 1 single file. When you want to run

a restore, you run a backend boot menu and restore from that file.

Please refer below link for product details

http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/

I hope this helps you to understand.

Regards

Sekhar

Answers (0)